Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won a '86 ECE 16V at auction, sight unseen, what have I done?

Won a '86 ECE 16V at auction, sight unseen, what have I done?

So I won this decent looking 1986 16V at an auto museum fund raiser auction in NY. No engine pictures, no underneith pictures. I'm worried about what a mess I've stepped into. I may be able to get it to NC this week. My wife will kill me if it proves to be a rust busket POS. We shall know shortly. Here's the link, anyone happen to know anything about this car?

https://www.saratogaautoauction.org/...edes-benz-190e

Looks like a fairly nice car. has a little rust by that back vent. Also those seats were never available in the US so it is likely a grey market car. It is the five speed though and that is what you want in that car. The shifter boot is off though. it is the correct patter for the box but says sportline. if it runs and shifts id say you didnt get burned.
    1991 Auto 2.6 (Gone)
    1992 Auto 2.6 Sportline (Getting full resto)
    2001 clk 430
    1999 Lexus RX300 (Totaled)
    2002 C32 amg (65mm pulley, EC tune, Tien coilovers, 18" renntech monolites, Wald body kit)

It's visually nice and straight. One of the previous owners was a bit of an enthusiast since there's the clear corners, exhaust and the Sportline shifter knob which was likely from a W124 car or SL with the option package. The true tests are coming, like a compression test, leak down test, sorting the condition of the valve train and the intake system. I have a 84 built 2.3-16 and have gone through most of the typical maintenance issues, so ask any questions you may have.
    The Biggest Bargain From Germany Since Wernher Von Braun - Car & Driver November 1983

Here's to hope! I picked up an east coast one from CT that looked beautiful; brand new paint, straight body... turned out it was totally rusted out on the bottom. Good thing it was like my 5th cossie and was gonna be a parts donor anyway.

At least from this pic you can see it is running and has good oil pressure on the gauge and the tach shows a normal idle speed!

1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

wow, I hadn't even noticed that, good catch.

Truly Euro model my man m VDO doesn't show mile/hr ..Are you Canadien ?
    Understanding your 190E when drifting:
    UNDER STEER : When you hit the Pole by the front
    OVER STEER : When you hit the Pole by the rear
    TORQUE : How far when you bring the Pole with you
    HORSE POWER : How fast when you hit the Pole .

EPC-WIS_ASRA printed document.pdf
    Here's your datacard.

Let us know how you get on with the underbody inspection.
    1987 201.034 - € spec 5sp. Blauschwarz- Hermann.
    1992 124.051 - 6sp man. Iceblau - Gretel
    1992 124.090 - 4sp auto Malachit Grün - Beatrix
    1987 107.048 - 4sp auto Signalrot - Stella
    2012 212.074 - 7sp mct-speedshift Diamantweiß - Klaus
    numerous other non-MB's
    MB exit lounge: 1989 201.035, 1987 201.029, 1987 126.039, 1972 107.023

Thanks for the datacard. Short option list huh. Surprised to see "620 - VEHICLES WITH CATALYST TECHNIQUE" sounds like that means catalytic converter, which I would not have expected on a ECE version. Canadian car originally? Too bad it doesn't show the original delivery destination.

Love the detective work!

I'd never make it as a PI. I've looked at that BaT listing several times recently, before and since the auction, and never realized it's the SAME CAR. Crazy. Still no definite delivery date, should know tomorrow.

Original shipment date was 04/15/86. Finding out when it was imported, you'd need to know the company that performed the DOT conversion. Or just wait until you pick it up, there should be an import plaque in the door jamb.

Here's a more complete datacard
    WDB2010341F218224.pdf

Early ECE's (84/85) are called RUF, later ECE's are KAT (some late 85's and up), and will have catalytic converters in them as the initials imply. DOT conversion puts a cat on them no matter what they came with anyway.
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

12. Quote Originally Posted by WaxahwFive View Post
    I'd never make it as a PI. I've looked at that BaT listing several times recently, before and since the auction, and never realized it's the SAME CAR. Crazy. Still no definite delivery date, should know tomorrow.
    Googling the VIN on any car you might have an interest is literally the very first step in due diligence.
    Also the phone number of the seller.

The transport driver pushed the delivery to Tuesday AM. Initial inspection and impressions to follow.

Looks clean!! Congrats!

Please look through this photo gallery of the underbody inspection. I'm very pleased with the condition, dirty and dusty, with very little rust. Let me know what you think, and point out anything that seems suspect.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CNPkCFmru2yL42FbA

I have driven the car around town for some initial evaluation and here are my main concerns/observations so far (I'll post new threads for some)...

1. There is a 1-2 second hesitation at throttle tip-in, seems worse when cold. After the 1-2 second pause, the engine responds and drives nicely. It feels like a fueling issue, maybe a momentary rich condition. Most control systems have a tip-in enrichment allowance, how is this handled in CIS?

2. Start-up and idling is pretty solid. On two occasions, when cold at throttle lift, the idle has dropped low and shut off.

3. I haven't ventured above 5k RPM's yet, waiting for 1st oil change and valve clearance measurement which I'll try to do today. No audible valve rattle, so that's encouraging.

4. No records of the timing chain or tensioner replacement. Is there an external visual indication of the updated tensioner?

5. The shifter is sloppy, already ordered the Delrin bushings from JC (5thscaleracer)

6. All SLS components are in place. The height sensor linkage is rusty, and I don't know if the system is operational. Will try to test with some weight in the trunk.

7. The front wheels are the wrong size. The rears are the correct 15x7et44, but the fronts are 15x6 1/2et49 (I already purchased a set of four R129 EVO wheels, 16x8et34)

8. Home-made welded all-thread ARB end link will have to be replaced.

9. Dash lights are dim. The dimmer dial is working, but full clockwise adjustment still has the light so sim that they are hard to read in the dark. Any ideas?

10. Need to replace the clear front corner lights with amber, anyone have a euro set (2-conductor instead of the US version which is 3-conductor, and supposedly a darker amber color)

11. Exhaust is a total mess and has a leak that you can hear and smell when driving.

Completely thrilled with the purchase so far. Thanks for reading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_110752.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	11077
    Last edited by WaxahwFive; 10-04-2020 at 07:54 AM.

16. If I remember correctly, the BaT Listing used to point to an ebay listing that mentioned there was a rust hole that was covered up with fiberglass. Maybe under the rear seat area/on top of the exhaust somewhere where it is hidden from view? Or maybe my memory does not serve me right.

You are missing the cover for the fuel pump, although it is just plastic it would be nice to have it for added protection.
    1985 190E 2.3-16 Euro

I wish I could find the old ebay listing, I've even tried the wayback machine, but it wasn't available. I'll try to contact previous owners to dig up more general information. Time to go pull out the back seat and have a look for surprises. Will report back.

I did find the part number for the fuel pump cover and will be ordering a new one along with the plastic nuts and a bunch of other cosmetic items.

Thanks for the reply

The rear subframe needs a good look over and you need at a minimum new bushes and bolts for the subframe, and swaybar links (use w124 wagon ones, they are metal)
    rear SLS parts need replacing, even the accumulators and strut hoses look tired. Rusty banjo bolt is not a good thing, but hopefully just surface rust.
    noticed a bit of rust under the urethane near bungs/grommets. attention required in these areas (the rust hides under the deadener and can bring nasty surprises hope yours is ok)
    rear springs look like they could do with cleaning and coating.
    radiator support (lower) needs attention.
    master cyl reservoir looks nasty.
    Do yourself a favour and replace all the coolant line hoses when you have budget. (in particular the heater hoses through the firewall and the monovalve)
    strut tops look like they have been replaced and no cracks.

just needs a serious gerni underneath to reveal all the crap and a proper spray down with clear body preservation wax.

Some bits and pieces to be re-plated, but all in all it looks like you have a pretty solid setup.

I reckon a rear subframe assembly overhaul is in your future and suspension bushes in the front. (LCA, swaybar)
    There is staining on the driveshafts, and some rust, I'm almost guaranteeing the wheel carrier bearings are shot and the bushes look tired, but gerni it all down really thoroughly and have a second look underneath after it has been properly cleaned, so you can really see what you are dealing with.
    You may be pleasantly surprised how good everything actually is.

but yes, a major undercarriage clean and lube/re-seal(wax) is a definite first step to making it last.

FCP Euro have a special on lemforder bits at the moment
    1987 201.034 - € spec 5sp. Blauschwarz- Hermann.
    1992 124.051 - 6sp man. Iceblau - Gretel
    1992 124.090 - 4sp auto Malachit Grün - Beatrix
    1987 107.048 - 4sp auto Signalrot - Stella
    2012 212.074 - 7sp mct-speedshift Diamantweiß - Klaus
    numerous other non-MB's
    MB exit lounge: 1989 201.035, 1987 201.029, 1987 126.039, 1972 107.023

Good looking car, congrats!
    TIME IS MADE IN THE CORNERS
    '84 2.3 8v(Project Blue)
    '86 3.0(track car)R.I.P.
    '90 1.8 Euro(SOLD)
    '95 E320 wagon