Thread: C3P OWND - 1992 190E 2.6L Restore Mod

C3P OWND - 1992 190E 2.6L Restore Mod

I started this project summer of 2015 (2 summer's ago). I originally had a 1985 2.3L that I did a half-ass restore mod as well. This find was in Huntington Beach, CA. Someone on Craigslist was asking $1500 for it and gave very little description to say, but decided to go ahead take a look at it. I missed my old W201.

So I went to take a look at it and found it in two deciding conditions;

1.) Every sensor indicator was ON and seemed to run good otherwise. (M103 is a tank) Blowned head-gasket, brake-wear sensor, transmission needed servicing, ABS light, and more. This is where I decided negotiations was in my favor. I have a friend who has very good experiences with the M102, M103, and the M104, all of which I've owned before.

2.) Cosmetically in Good condition, body was straight, interior had no tears in the seats, no cracks on the dash, typical cracks on the driver-side air-vent bezel, and shifter-console bezel degraded wood, and only the driver's door leather was stretched from what looks like water damage from probably leaving the window open during rain. The hood, roof, and trunk lid oxidized, otherwise it would have been in EXCELLENT condition.

I bought it for $900 as-is.

Drove it straight to my buddies shop and started with tearing down the engine and began rebuilding;

New Alternator, pulley's, tensioner, belt, etc.
    New Radiator, hoses, thermostat, sensors, etc.
    NGK Laser Iridium Plugs, Bosch high-resistance wires, cap & rotor, etc.
    Fuel Pump and Fuel Filters replaced.
    Cleaned out the K-Jetronic sytem (rebuilt).
    Flushed the Transmission system, replaced all hoses, filter, etc.

Once these were done, found many more other problems with the car that was not expected, but suspected;

Brakes were completely replaced, new rotors, ceramic pads, steel braided lines, etc.
    At that point, I found the front-wheel bearings worn. Removed and replaced with SKF brand.
    Also at the same time, replaced worn strut mounts, struts(KYB), and spring pads(1-bump).

Cosmetics done:
    Repainted all monotone champagne gold.
    Euro Headlights, Louvered Grille, Clear Tailights (could not find an LED Tailight, had a set on my W124).
    Debadged, debating on restoring the badge to a 260E. (LOL!!! just for laughs...it's a label, all those that understand know it's a 2.6L)
    The Wheels are from an R129 by Ronal (1294010702), 8Jx16 ET34 on 205-50 by NANKANG Ns-20.

Work in Progress:
    ABS Light won't go away, every once in a while it pops up. I've cleaned and inspected the Front and Rear speed Sensors, replaced the OVP Relay. I will trying cleaning and inspecting the ABS System. For those that don't know, this is also a cause for hard-shifts symptoms in an automatic transmission. Open for advice.
    Pull the interior, repair the driver-side door panel, and clean out the carpet, clean the door panels, center console.
    Replace the Center-Shifter-Console and Driver-side vent bezel and replace all the loose air vents. Thinking of using a 3D printer for thIs project.
    Rear shock replacement. It rides excellent for now.
    Install a high flow CAT. I removed the CAT and went straight to a dual-tip muffler as an experiment, now it's a frickin' drone-monster. If after installing a CAT, it's still too loud, I'll install a resonator as well. It does really well on the top-end and have gone over 100 MPH easily as the M103 still wants to pull.
    Lower the front-end 1 to 1.5 inch, using 400E springs and knocking off a coil or two, I already used the lowest spring pads and waiting for it to settle after the new struts installed.
    Change the Dash Gauges(white, yellow, maybe add LED's).

Considerations:
    Steering Wheel and Shifter knob replacements.
    400E upgrade using 2Phast's write-up, which is great!
    Wrapping or Coating the Exhaust Manifold. Saw a thread of someone trying to make a header for the M103, but I guess it costs too much (over $1000).
    Wire up for moving the battery to the trunk and maybe a rear-view camera and media system.
    Install a 2.3L rear-end for higher-gear ratio and replace the flex-disc.
    Flaring, Rolling, and Pulling the Fenders. My body guy is out of town until November. I don't remember who it was, but when I had my E320(W124), I saw a Wide-body project 300CE use the chrome fender trim as a template for an extended fender-flare.
    Maybe add a strut bars on the front and rear.
    Would love to find and install a dogleg 5-speed and cheap enough to have it installed, but eh...I'l save my money for a 1993 Sportline.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:

Resizing photos to add.
    Last edited by stealth1; 07-16-2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Smartphone keyboards suck!
    PROJECT: 1992 190E 2.6L 12V / Restore Mod
    DECEASED: 1994 E320 3.2L 24V
    DECEASED: 1985 190E 2.3L 8V
    FUTURE PROJECT : 1985 944 Porsche 2.5L L4 / Inherited the car and all it's problems. First thing is to get it started.
    Plans: Autocross Car

Looks clean.
    The Biggest Bargain From Germany Since Wernher Von Braun - Car & Driver November 1983

Thank you.
    FUTURE PROJECT : 1985 944 Porsche 2.5L L4 / Inherited the car and all it's problems. First thing is to get it started.

i like it!
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by secretmachine View Post
    i like it!
    Thank you.

Looks great!
    87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6
    90 Nissan Skyline GTS-T 375rwhp -sold-

7. Nice car! I have a 2.3 3.27 lsd diff for sale. Lmk if you want it for your project

Awesome job!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by supracrazy View Post
    Nice car! I have a 2.3 3.27 lsd diff for sale. Lmk if you want it for your project
    Thanks. FYI, the Cosworth or AMG or EVO II had a completely different rear-carier sub-assembly. It won't fit without the entire setup. I'm looking for the plain-jane 2.3 8V (M102) rear-end from an automatic. Let me research more, pretty sure the 4 & 5-speeds were different. https://www.2phast.com/190e/lsd.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marrymemercedes View Post
    Looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anasasis View Post
    Awesome job!
    Thank you all.
    Last edited by stealth1; 07-17-2017 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Smartphone keyboard sucks!