Thread: 1987 190 2.3-16

1987 190 2.3-16

So it's been a while since I have been around these parts regularly. Previously I had a 8v 5 speed.

A few years ago I found my unicorn. I was so far removed form Benz it wasn't even on my radar anymore. I was fully immersed in Subaru (got into rally and winter driving and had an amazing supply of cheap/fee parts and cars). A friend sent me a link to a dead 190e 2.3-16 and I cursed him. Timing was perfect, I was just finishing school, and just sold my old waterski boat and set a small amount aside for a toy fund.

I went and look at the car, and researched it. The owner failed to listen to a very good Mercedes mechanic (You have skipped at least 1 tooth on the intake cam, and if you turn the car on anymore you will ruin it. Tow it home, tow it back in 2 weeks when I can work on it. DO NOT TURN THE CAR ON". and he was quoted a timing chain job. Simple enough, nope, he drove it and I think tried to trouble shoot it and didn't believe it was a timing chain issue. There were some things on the car that I recognized as the signature of a infamous Lebanese mechanic I knew and he was great friends with. So they killed the motor, it went back to the shop and now he needed a full engine overhaul cause all 8 intake valves were bent. So the car went up for sale.

After a lot of debating and waiting I start haggling, and got to a price I was not comfortable with and I walked away. Only to think about it over night and realize I wasn't prepaired to let one of my dream cars slip away because I was stubborn on my negotiating. So the next day I caved to his price and bought it.

I brought it home and fell in love and started researching where to get parts, and this trusty old forum proved fruitful, with Capt having a crap head with excellent valves and seals in it for a fraction of the price. Some more digging and over a few months I accumulated all the parts I needed. And my good friend had almost all the factory tools I needed from his repair business he used to run, and I was on good terms with 1 of 2 originally factory trained Mercedes Techs that knew the model and had been the mechanic that looked at it originally, they filled in the blanks for me.

So after 6 months of tinkering and accumulating parts I finally got it running and on the road. I have since been driving it, and have put 35000km on it with little to no issues. I did rear brakes, new parking brake shoes, OVP relay, and a rear brake line (may have bent it slightly when installing the motor and the steering column joint bolts rubbed a hole through it after 2 summers of driving). I am still picking away at small things (this springs list is- , plugs and wires, fuel filter, oil pressure sensor, power antenna, lap timer, buffing, and paint chip repair). On the horizon is possibly a new exhaust (previous owner hacked in an 8v rear muffler) and eventually bringing the sls back to life.... I know there are better options, but I like stock and original as much as I can.

Currently the car has 140 000km on it, and has had the engine fully gone over, all gaskets and intake hoses replaced, and runs fantastic. I have 17" SLK replica rims on ti, which I am not a huge fan of and will probably go back to stock, the 17"s rub where the front bumper/fender arches meet in bad bumps or hard corners, and I like driving around aggressively on nice roads in the summer.

the interior is in good shape, I have had to fix some peeling on the door panels, and have couple cracks in the dash. I also have some wood I need to take off and re glue as it is starting to warp bt is still in great shape.

Last edited by *$benz_boy$*; 04-27-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    If you are always scared you are doing it wrong, if you are never scared you are an idiot.

Nice! Congrats!
    86 16V MS-II v3.0 EDIS IRTB's
    87 16V converted auto wifeys ride
    92 Sportline auto daily driver
    03 RS6 02 S6 03 986 02 Widebody 4.2
    03 Excursion Powerstroke official tow vehicle for the enclosed race car trailer
    91 MR2 Turbo, 3 miatas, 99 Cobra 'vert, 3 1st gen celicas few SUV's and some other cars

Is this the mint condition that's for sale in Nova Scotia right now?

Yes it is. I haven't said its mint, but it is one of the better condition ones I have seen for sale in the last 4 years. And it has had the much needed engine overhaul done- new timing chain setup, new gaskets, new hoses- all the stuff a 30 year old Benz needs that most people neglect to factor into to owning one of these.

I'm not in a huge hurry to sell, and am only interested in selling if I get what I believe it is worth based on other ones i have seen sell, and that are currently for sale in North America, so I understand most people think I am over valuing the car, but I follow the market very closely on what these are worth, and what has come up for sale and what has sold in similar condition. I have yet to see one in the 4 years i have owned it with a low of milage.
    If you are always scared you are doing it wrong, if you are never scared you are an idiot.

5. Looks like a nice car in great shape.

I'm saying it's a mint car. Looks very clean inside and out and clearly well maintained.

how are you guys seeing it? the pics don't work for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	10125
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

Quote Originally Posted by secretmachine View Post
    how are you guys seeing it? the pics don't work for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	10125
    Use your imagination. Links don't work for me too

Pictures not working
    My 190E Web Blog
    Modifications.....1987 190E 2.3-16V, Evolution 2 Body Kit, Evo2 Wheels, Cross/Drilled Rotors, Front Polyurethane Bushings, New Rear Link set, & Yellow Speed Racing Suspension.

10000+ Pictures

btw, if you are using google photos, the img bbcode will not work, the links for those don't end in a picture format extension like jpg, gif, png etc.

Fixed up the pictures, hopefully everyone can see them now!

And some more, the car has the original Pirelli spare and tool kit.

overall the car is pretty clean, with no rust, the engine bay is fairly clean but has the typical 30 year old decay or plastics and shrouds, hood pad etc.

underneath is clean, and the worst thing is the heat shields and exhaust, they show the most corrosion, which is to be expected, but are still all solid.

The carpets are in great shape and have always been covered

hey now! that's a nice 16v, congrats! what did you end up getting it for (if you don't mind sharing)?

Sorry secretmachine, can't post that on the interwebs given that I have it up for sale for a high asking price...... but I twas a good deal, BUT that was because there were too many unknowns given the signature of an infamous mechanic here, so it was also a pretty big gamble on how in depth the work was going to be. Was the tranny shot, was the computer any good, how much of the fuel injection was out of whack, was the cruise computer toast etc. Int he end all that was in fantastic shape. And other then the bent valves all the other work (all gaskets, valve seals, intake hoses and tubes, timing chain/guides/tensioners) was stuff that should be completed on one anyway.

I am pretty capable as a mechanic and knew these cars inside and out, and knew how to find the parts so it was a tremendous saving to get it back on the road. It is still taking a lot of my time to finish all the nit picky stuff, a lot of which i have really ignored for 4 years because I was just so happy to be driving one after years of lusting after them.

don't worry, I dont want to ruin your sale :) i'm always curious about the values across the country. i understand that risk you took, you can see in my sig, i've taken that jump a good few times now too! lol

Those wheels are gross AF, Buy a decent set for everyone and your own sake. Don't embarrass us 16v owners.
    1986 201.034 "Berthilda" 5-speed, Evo II wheels 225/45/17, 400E front swaybar, 400e rear brakes
    1986 201.024 M104 engine, 5-speed Conversion, Updated LE trim console, 400E front sway bar, W202 springs, Limited slip Diff, 16v Steering box, 3" magnaflow exhaust system, 16v body kit, 16v Fuel tank, 16v Brake Booster, 400E calipers, MS2 3.57.
    1993 201.029 Sportline LE.

hahahah thanks for the wheels comment. I'm not an overly huge fan of them either, but they were the right price so that over ruled the look.

17. Wow- you're 16v is NICE. Good for you on saving it!