I've been an evolving petrol head for a while now and I've just started my first project and boy did I jump straight into the deep end. The most I've ever done before was a fluid service, however I have friends who are car mad and I've helped them do small things here and there (mostly JDM).
So let's start at the beginning, I've been a huge fan of the Mercedes AMG F1 team for a few years, I've also been an avid BMW fan and have owned a few bimmers (). The time came for me to buy a new car as I was getting bored with my BMW - Mercedes had my attention, specifically an AMG.
I stumbled across an old post from Nico Rosberg of his father driving an Evo II (). The car caught my attention and I wanted one straight away, only with more power; the car I previously owned was 400hp and I'm seeking something similar. I have spent the last 6months+ looking for the perfect starting car to make a replica EvoII DTM car with a modern engine.
Buying a Car:
Unfortunately I live in Australia where european cars are not cheap or plentiful. So I had to scour the internet for a 190e 2.6L in decent condition. Eventually I found a 1989 190e outside Melbourne in decent condition - a UK import. My first issue was that I live 2000kms away... so I found a local mechanic to check the car over - He was an awesome guy - shout out to Eason's Car Centre.
He checked over the car and all was good... haha who am I kidding. Brakes were shot, tyres were shit and bushings perished.... but other then that everything worked well. The engine was perfect! I'd found a winner, and for the price of $3500 + flights + tyres + petrol (approx $4100).
Unfortunately the owner was a wanker who sold me a car with an empty fuel tank (despite me pleading him to put $30 in before purchase) . My first modification was getting tyres that could get me home safely, the brakes were low, but would make 2000km of highway driving no issues. So I took the car on a 2000km trip home, and amazingly I had no issues
- Day 1
- Day 2
- The Car
- Interior 2
- Interior 3
My Modification Plans [constantly being updated]:
-Evo II widebody kit ()
-Respray the car designo selenite grey magno ()
-Wider wheels and sticky tyres
-Upgraded handling and suspension (Hedgehog LCA, and a coilover setup - will need custom fabrication)
-Big brake kit
-Aftermarket steering wheel (hopefully with paddle shifters)
-M113k 5.5L supercharged v8 engine
-722.6 Auto Gearbox
-Upgraded diff (not yet decided)
Stripping the interior:
I started by stripping the interior. The front seats are stuffed, the rears need some restoration. The rear parcel shelf is ruined. The dash is 90% ok but was extremely dry and on the way to cracking if not attended to. The carpet was quite good. The AC vents are all stuffed. Door cards need need restoration.
- Half the interior stripped. I'm laying it out in the same configuration to reduce confusion later
// - Dash out, that was a bitch.
The roof lining and sunroof remain. I will probably come back to this at a later date, especially because the sunroof is not working smoothly, I think the tracks are stuffed.
Pulling the Engine/Gearbox:
The engine will be upgraded to a v8 from the M113 range and that means the 2.6L has to go. I recruited my brother for this and he said it was a 3 hour job.... That was optimistic I thought. We unplugged most of the stuff in the engine bay in no time, intercooler came out easily. Fluids done without issue.
The step I got stuck on was removing the exhaust from the manifold. The bolts are totally stuffed and we couldn't get bolts undone.
Update: 06/03/17:This was a long weekend, but I finally made it there. I had 3 big issues to overcome in order to get the engine out; a massive hangover, needing 2 people for most things, and trying to work with shitty old stripped bolts in tight spaces. Eventually I got the damn thing out with a lot of swearing. I started on Saturday afternoon, unfortunately over Sat night a few litres of fuel leaked from the car (don't ask me how), so when I was working on it all day Sunday I was in a stinking hot shed full of petrol fumes. The gearbox was stubborn and did not want to drop, it took a prybar and 3 people pulling to get it to drop away from the driveshaft, once that happened it was pretty straightforward to get out.
- Petrol leak + a full bag of rags trying to soak it up
- Engine halfway out
- Empty engine bay, plus a whole lot of Coolant, Oil, Water and Fuel under the car
- Engine + Gearbox out
- Exhaust out
- M113k resting on my engine crane
Next on the 'To Do' list:
Next up is getting the fabrication done to fit the m113k and 722.6.
Where you can follow my build:
Shoutouts to people who have helped me with my build:
-Thanks to SecretMachine who has given me some advice on what direction to take
-Thanks to GetToolsDirect Maroochydoore who have provided me with a whole bunch of tools at cost prices