Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making an 8v go fast for cheap. (aka; Budgetbuild)

No problem, glad to see another build! This is the winter of m104 swaps.
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

2. Some pics of the diff...
    Regardless of what you think you see, the measurements are either taken from a centre of a hole or edge of a surface.
    I'll list them out to make it easier if anyone wants to compare.

ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE IN INCHES!!! (and upside down, sorry..)
    They are also not perfect, so dont take them as gospel. but they are most definitely accurate within 1/16"

3.75"

1.5" edges of seal where it touches axle stub.

11" mount to mount

14.5" rear mount to pinion flange

10.5" mount to mount (centreline of bolt holes)

Left side.
    Last edited by _McKnight; 12-31-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Welcome to the rev!
    I'm in the same boat as you. Like drifting and in knee deep building a M104.980 turbo. I've been drifting/tracking the 190 with the 3.0 M103 swap that's been awesome, but I'm ready for more power. The M103 was a low cost build for me but with the .980 it's a different story. The reason is turbo+EFI conversion+low cost is impossible. Even if you fab all your custom parts. Btw don't worry about lowering the compression ratio for 400hp. Turbobandit uses stock internals and stock head gaskets for 600+ hp. You can push a lot of air through these engines but the key to do it safely is in the tune.
    TIME IS MADE IN THE CORNERS
    '84 2.3 8v(Project Blue)
    '86 3.0(track car)R.I.P.
    '90 1.8 Euro(SOLD)
    '95 E320 wagon
    '07 GL 320

A few things to consider:

1. Most of Mercedes parts are really well engineered and durable and can take quite a beating. The problem is, most of the used parts are by now 20-30 years old and have fatigued over time which is why they start breaking quite easily when doubleing or tripleing the power. It is pretty much the same case with 20-30 year old Audis and BMW-s. Time chews through everything eventually. I have broken the half shaft on my 1991 250TD with its 69 kW because of the fatigue in it.

2. W201 is quite a light and well handling chassis (compared to the newer cars) and doesn't neccesarily need huge amounts of hp to be fast and fun. The goal should actually be balancing out the hp and suspension components to have a responsive and very well handling car. 400hp with fine tuning and balancing should be more than enough to give the newer, more powerful but heavier cars a run for their money. You also have to consider that 245 is pretty much the widest tire you can fit in the rear arches and that limits the power you can effectively put to ground, so at some point, having more power doesn't nessecarily make the car any faster.

3. As stated above, the engines are strong enough to take double or triple the power with stock componenets as long as revs are kept stock and detonation does not occur. This means keeping the EGT-s low with adequate cooling and correctly sized turbo (bigger is cooler). Also the ECU tuning should be made by a proffesional. And of course the engine should be checked and overhauled before any serious tuning and oil should be changed more frequently to keep the engine clean, well lubricated and happy.

Good luck with your build!

5. Updates.

6. So, I bought some stuff.

Steering wheel for $70

bought this thing...

terrible front shot.

It's a little dicked though...

So, why did I buy it?

but it's got a burnt out clutch...

Paid a grand for it, I should be able to easily get a grand out of it.
    And a free 6 speed swap.

I poured gas in the cylinder head of the old engine and it slowly got damp on the valve face, so I lapped the valves in.
    I'm never going to drive it, but I figure it will make the next person have a good time. should give it some more compression too.
    Just waiting for my last valve, chain, and gaskets to come from Rockauto and ill have this thing up and running.

Before and after

Waiting on the last valve to get here

Head, before and after lapping valves

I should have the car, the new engine, and a cherry picker by Saturday afternoon.

Just need a truck and time off work to collect my goods. :)

That grain though.....
    Last edited by _McKnight; 01-14-2015 at 05:40 PM.

6 speeder, nice!
    1993 190e 3.0

Nice finds!

9. It's going to be a party.

10. Got the engine home today, $700 has 92,000km.

Managed to get the guy to throw in a cluster with the 7k tach too :)

This should start to get underway in the next few weeks, the harness on the engine looks pretty toast so I'll likely have to make a new one of those... I think it is the biodegradable type, it's from a 91 300ce?

Have to get my valve and pick up the new car later this week also. Those are the two biggest hurdles at the moment.

Updates soon.

the 980, that's the one!

12. So, I've been up to no good..
    Haven't updated this in some time.

Got my new valve, chain, and gaskets for the og 2.3.
    Put the valves in, dropped a ball seat on the ground.... Anyone know if these same parts come in other Mb vehicles that I could visit at the wreckers?

Pulled the engine apart to do the chain, realized halfway through that the oil pan bolts to the timing cover... Decided to do it in the air instead because it's coming out anyways.

Also took the rad support out... I'll deal with that later.

She's out. With a little bit of liquor and help from a friend.

Pulled the new manual donor car in, got the front end pulled off. Should have the thing gutted by next Sunday, as I'm only able to work on the car sat/sun

So this is where my 190 currently stands. 4x4 status.

Updates to come next week, just doing some research this week as I go.

On a side note... Could anyone tell me what this kit is? I'm basically in love...

I believe that's the first gen Zender kit.

Oh and I'm guessing the ball seats for the lifters are the same in the six cylinder m103s as the m102.
    1993 190e 3.0

they are indeed the same on the m103

15. They do come in different sizes the thickness varies So just check the size is the same as the others. I believe its for lifter preload, I know that their different I had a cam ground and they took to much off the base circle I needed to try and pick up the clearance, also the plate on top of the lifter in the rocker arm comes in different thickness.

just correct it by adjusting the arms

17. I believe early 102 8v multi belt had adjustable tappets sure just adjust the rocker, the single belt 102 8v had hydraulic lifters the shims come in different thickness, don't think putting a different size in will make much difference but they do come in different Thickness, I presume you guys where talking about a early 8V.

Yeah my '92 m103 3 liter engine is non adjustable lifters-- they are self adjusting / hydraulic. No mechanical tappets.
    1993 190e 3.0

19. It's got hydraulic lifters in it.

There's a 3 and 3.5mm from what the Mb dealer told me, which was my next question.. Anyone know if the hydro is definitely different than the adjustables?

So I could look for one or the other at the wreckers, if they are in fact different for that style lifter... To be honest I figured intake and exhaust would be different, but never measured because they went back where they came from lol.

20. Car is an 85, original single chain in it.