Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet Sophie. 2.5-16 A Picture Story

Meet Sophie. 2.5-16 A Picture Story

A 1989 2.5-16 with a story to tell. *Initially delivered to Naples Italy. *Here she is in original condition.

One of 4784 2.5-16's, this one is an even rarer ECE non catalyst version rated at 205 HP. *The car was ordered with the comfort package; leather, sunroof, A/C. *Rarest of all the car was ordered with the all around self leveling suspension with ride height control.

The car was bought in 2003 by Jerimie. Member. Adidas_kn

Here she is with new shoes he bought her.

Then she got some bling.

And starting going out at night.

Things were tough on the street.

https://190rev.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6179

Quote Originally Posted by adidas_kn View Post
    Here are the pics from the mechanic. It turns out that the problem was a broken exaust valve. Here are the pics.

Man I've seen this car through thick and thin. That mean I've gotta keep it. After this $3000 repair bill I've gotta cut down on mods for awhile. Well kinda.
    The lady gets top treatment.

I stopped by the engine shop yesterday and all I can say is Dayumn! The head is finished with the port and polish and the new piston and rings are in. The head was dipped to completely clean it (after removal of all parts). It was then Completely smoothed, ported, polished, and lightly shaved also. They installed all new valves and springs to go with it. The have all new gaskets and seals waiting for reassembly. They gave me the old valve encrusted piston as a souvineer. This engine is going to be like brand new when I get it back. They are also replacing the coldstart injector and cleaning the Idle valve. * woot woot! Brand new car! Pics will be posted soon.

BTW the car was just started when it dropped the valve. It made a loud bang and clank and kept doing it till I turned it off. Not something you want to hear.*

"J"

Not bad huh? That cylinder in the head looks way better than it did before! sorry about the size of the pics.

"J"
    She lost the SLS and got low.

https://190rev.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7284

Went to the show.

https://190rev.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7757

Jeremie really took care of her.

Well Here is my slick N' quick benz

Me and my Benz

A couple nice shots of my car.

Big black wheels.

Clean wheel well. New brakes, new suspension and SS braided lines.

Nice engine shot.

Shot of the clean interior.

Trunk Pic.
    but she always wanted to travel.

https://190rev.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4744

Ended up getting a divorce.

https://190rev.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8938

She endured and did make it the US after hooking up with another service man. *TycolC. *He posted more on benzworld. *It took three years and cost eight thousand dollars to finally import the car. *

**2.5 16V in DC** - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

She had made it to the US but was still not happy.

2.5 16V Parting out - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

She averted disaster again and got a new transmission from the classic center, *what a lady. *But another*Divorce

https://190rev.net/forums/showthread....ht=2.5-16+sale

I bought the car in November of 2009. *

I brought her to the scuderia were she was not that special.

I made her get rid of that bling. *I blacked her out.

Then I swapped out the grill to chrome, put in stock tailights and some evo 1 wheels.

Last edited by Merccossie; 07-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Connie - 85 2.3-16 ECE Track Car
    Red - 86 2.3-16 Slushbox Daily Driver
    Sophie - 89 2.5-16 EZL-ECE Bimmer Eater

Thank you for buying this car! You're bringing it back to a very nice car!! Half way through this thread I was sharpening an axe! But looks great now! Just get rid of that damn Amg badge!

I don't know how they handled, but I would fuckin love to have 4 wheel sls!

Jim
    They're hard to hear when you're jammin gears!
    1980 300GD
    1985 190E 2.3-16v ECE VEMS
    1986 190E 2.3-16v KAT
    1986 190E 2.3-16v EURO KAT

I felt the same way looking at it. All that chrome made me cringe. But the car looks brilliant now and we all wanna see more pictures of this beauty!

Thank you for saving this piece of Mercedes history.
    -1990 190E 2.6 (to be sold)
    -1989 190E 3.0 5SPD - Resto-Mod, euro lights w/ smoked corners, leather steering wheel, 16v Recaro's front and rear, 16v rear wing, AMG monoblock II's, rear headrests, '93 console w/euro cubby, Apline head, custom trunk audio setup that holds 10" Earthquake sub w/ planet audio 700 watt 5 channel amp.

I remember looking at that car wanting my 190E (back before i had one) to look like that.
    My 190E Web Blog
    Modifications.....1987 190E 2.3-16V, Evolution 2 Body Kit, Evo2 Wheels, Cross/Drilled Rotors, Front Polyurethane Bushings, New Rear Link set, & Yellow Speed Racing Suspension.

10000+ Pictures

it does look better with the oem wheels and grille.

The anti-dive is also sweet.
    one of a kind ride right there.. At least in the US haha
    1985 190e 2.0 8v forged internals, 5spd MT, EFI, 16v interior, sportline exterior, working on the turbo header now

1986 190e 2.3-16 Nam, 5spd MT, stripped to the bone, I swear I'll start building it into a track car soon, seriously.

Midway through I was seriously getting angry with that guy talking about parting it out! What a F*ing idiot, over just a transmission.

So happy that you took those stupid chrome door cups off, those are beyond awful. My boss has them on a mint w208 CLK along with these ugly ass chrome Mexi-wheels, it completely ruins Mercedes along with those chrome dash rings, chrome fenders and chrome door mirror covers. Chrome is retarded looking on so many levels.

Good thing you are taking some proper care of her now, and I'm sure she's in the right house hold with all those other 190e's! What a collection man, so jealous!

Enjoy the 2.5, you're like the only person who probably has one in the U.S. still.
    2002 SLK230 Kompressor
    1993 190e 2.6 Sportline LE - Sold!
    1989 190e 2.6 - Crashed!
    1986 300e 3.0
    1985 190e 2.3-16v Euro Spec

Thanks for your support and kind remarks. I invite everyone to comment.  What direction would you go with the car?

Why does she need to loose the AMG badge?

I have an original AMG and it is just a bunch of parts bolted to the car.  My old car from the eighties in a sad state right now.  I have managed to buy from eBay, those parts over the years.  I just missed getting a 4 valve engine kit, brand new, still in the box.  I did get a new set of 16" pentas still in the original AMG boxes and a truly mint Gen1 steering wheel.  What's difference does it make which car I bolt the stuff on?

Sophie has had some life so far.  With something to compare to, I know how these cars should drive.  Only my 86 had a properly maintained suspension system when I got it.  Came through a group of pilots, even had some maintenance logs like plane would, very rare.

I thought the car drove like crap when I first drove it.  So I ripped apart the entire rear suspension and rebuilt it.  I properly loaded the suspension before torquing every bolt, which is important with these multi link set ups.  I reworked the front to eliminate tire rub, even with those big 18's on the car, and to get the alignment right.

The cup kit ride is very rough combined with the 35 series tires.  On rough tarmac the car would loose grip and began to skip and hop in the corners.  Under initial acceleration there was rear wheel hop as well.  So the switch to the evo1's with 50 series tires was more than just looks, but must say I like them.  Now the car drives like a slot car on rails.

The importer had not done a great job on the exhaust catalyst retrofit, so I reworked it to a more original spec.  Now it really flows, the difference was remarkable. And the sound, oh the lovely sound of the cosworth with a proper exhaust.

I have not yet put the car on a dynamometer but I from the data I collected through the ass-cheekomometer, she runs like a scalded dog.  It is no wonder that she has shredded three stock clutch discs, malled a stout transmission and mangled the rear suspension bushings.  The broken valve damage was more than fixed by the port and polish and the larger valves.  I pulled the trans replaced the clutch, the cylinders and the mount.  Then I fixed up the shifter linkage. No more sloppy shifter, it is smooth and fixed, glorious, the short throw and the brass bushings.

The fuel mixture had been leaned by the importer trying to get that EPA 3520. Not sure how they did that.  The ICI would need to perform an emissions test, a ten minute simulated urban drive on a dynamometer or at least swore they had.  Anyways I got it all "fixed" up.  I run the car on 100 octane so she would melt emissions test equipment.  Fortunately for the environment I run car very little and at the track.

It took three years for the ICI, to release Sophie from the bond yard. She sat in a gravel lot in Baltimore summer and winter. I had to replace all four door cards.  

The paint was not done very well and was improperly applied so I stripped it all off and repainted the car with the original color.

Now Sophie is the garage ready to be reassembled, I am waiting for some more cladding clips and a few rubber seals.

So let's hear your suggestions, please.  Should I restore the SLS?  Expensive and time consuming, but I understand it is formidable.  Should I return the rest to stock?  Or, should I buy the slide throttle kit from Thorsten Stadler and see what three hundred HP is like?  Weigh in here please.

Quote Originally Posted by Merccossie View Post
    Why does she need to loose the AMG badge?
    My personal feeling on that would be IF you have genuine AMG parts installed, why not have the badge too? AMG had a rule in the 80's; for a car to be fitted with an AMG badge, it had to have at least 2 VISUAL upgrades (ie, your Pentas and steering wheel)

I will say though that no matter what THAT amg badge needs to go, as it is not period correct for the car, thats an ebay ///AMG badge.

I think it's fine to put an AMG badge on a car that has the genuine bolt on AMG upgrades (no matter who bolted them on) As long as the badge too is genuine AMG and period correct.
    1996 C36 AMG in 199
    -S55 AMG wheels
    -CL600/C32 AMG aluminum Brembos
    -Vogtland springs/Bilstien shocks

I guess the AMG badge is personal taste, personally, all my cars and my parents cars are debadged and only have the manufacturer's badge. I think that is a much cleaner look then badges everywhere. Something that really bugs me about new cars, especially AMG and M is the M badges and AMG and 6.3 everywhere. But in the same light, if every car came debadged then there is nothing special about it.

I thought the struts/shocks looked like KYB or something, which was massively disappointing. And I noticed that the car had be repainted as well during the 1st owner, which was also disappointing, but I hear 2.5's are common in Europe anyway.

EVO 1 wheels are probably my favorite wheel for the 190e, in all honesty. They just fit the mold so perfect. And personally, I HATE the whole stance out, stretched tires, uncomfortably low (just lowering the car with no care for handling) that seems to be so common now a days. I think proper tires, no rubbing, proper camber, and a little bit of tuck with good suspension travel is the best set-up. Not a fan of massive fender gap (ChrisFball!) at all either, but ride quality doesn't have to be ruined to fix that.

I have a Euro Spec 1985 2.3-16v with under 80,000 miles. The SLS is in perfect shape and the car is probably one of the best cars I've ever driven in the handling department. It eats corners like nothing (I have insanely good tires though, awful in the rain) and doesn't have any rubbing or wheel hop or slip at speed.

I wouldn't leave the car stock, build it up! Just make sure to not Civic it! (I like that term I saw someone use).

Do the 2.5's still use CIS-E? If so, I'd put standalone system on it personally to give the engine more life and most likely reliability. Make the suspension perfect with some polyurethane bushings perhaps. I'd keep the appearance nice and simple like an all stock 2.5-16v though. And just mod the mechanics of it. Aesthetically the 190e is already perfect with the Recaro leathers and euro dash. I wouldn't put the gaudy AMG wood from the era in, I'd leave it black plastic, maybe get it wrapped, but IDK.
    2002 SLK230 Kompressor
    1993 190e 2.6 Sportline LE - Sold!
    1989 190e 2.6 - Crashed!
    1986 300e 3.0
    1985 190e 2.3-16v Euro Spec

You can have my 'period-correct' AMG badge from my valver..

If I was in your position, I would re-build the car to "stock" Its so rare (not just in the US) because of the all wheel SLS, and it really is a marvel in its own right..

Plus, you do have other cars you can put the ITBs and suspension on....

But thats just me, I'm sure if you did go all out on it, it would still be an excellent representation of "Mercedes quality" and be one badass machine.
    1985 190e 2.0 8v forged internals, 5spd MT, EFI, 16v interior, sportline exterior, working on the turbo header now

1986 190e 2.3-16 Nam, 5spd MT, stripped to the bone, I swear I'll start building it into a track car soon, seriously.

12. Thank you for de-bling-ifying this car. Looking forward to updates.
    1987 W201 190E 16v: Vintage racer
    1990 300CE-24 Coupe: Daily driver
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16: Weekend toy

What I would give to have my car back! Someday. Nice to see this one coming back though.
    1985 Euro 190E 2.3-16
    1984 Euro 500SE
    2015 G63 AMG
    1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1996 Ford F350
    1998 Dodge Durango

Nice story, Charlie! I can't believe the chronicles of 'Sophie'...Look forward to seeing it. C&C next weekend?
    Trevor
    '95 540i M Sport (1 of 200) - '00 A4 1.8TQMS -
    Ex: '85 190e 2.3-16 (ECE)
    www.HeritageMotorwerks.net

I have never been a fan of those Amg badges. Even on real amgs of that period. Maybe I was too young/not really alive in the 80s.

I have no idea what the 4 wheel sls handles like, so I can't really say. I would never have taken it off in the first place, but now that it is off I'm not sure if it's worth the expense to put it back on. Got to find someone who has driven the 4sls.

Power upgrades are always cool, so the decision seems like, totally stock or
    Real performance upgrades. Up to you, your taste seems good enough where I won't hunt you down no matter what you do to it at this point!

Jim
    They're hard to hear when you're jammin gears!
    1980 300GD
    1985 190E 2.3-16v ECE VEMS
    1986 190E 2.3-16v KAT
    1986 190E 2.3-16v EURO KAT

16. Amazing car!

I had Haltech EFI & ITBs on my last 16v, I highly recommend standalone EFI since it truly wakes up the car. If this is a track only car, go with slide throttles because many people say they are a bit touchy for the street.
    1985 190E 2.3-16 Euro

Again, thanks for weighing in.  Sophie likes all the attention.

AMG this and AMG that.  I removed emblems from the fenders, the trunk, the grille, and the console.  They are in the box with the harness pads and the valve stem caps, all emblazoned with AMG and have an Ebay item number somewhere i am sure.

I think you can AMG the heck out of it if you want to, a tribute car more or less.  If you want to get real you will need this.

Quote Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
    Gizooogle to the rescue. 

///amg 190e 6.0l

All around SLS was installed on the Nardo ring cars.  Many of the DTM cars used it.  I have been sourcing parts for years but have not begun acquiring them.  I am not yet sure I can get all the critical parts. 

The 2.5-16 has K-Jet 3, which has error code memory.  Even on the non catalyst engine, there is closed loop lambda control and vapor recovery.  There is no cats because in some parts of Europe you could not find un leaded fuel.  Fuel quality is why there is variable timing.

Jerimie modified the car for shows and seems to have done a good job on the things for that.  Who ever did the engine work was fantastic. Everything else needed better attention.  

But Sophie was not built for shows.  She was built to drive.  And drive hard, very hard.  Sophie's young and restless days behind her, she still has dreams and they ain't at no show.

DTM History - The Golden Years - YouTube

always liked this 16v, used to follow it when Addidas had it.
    if it were me, I'd reinstate the 4 wheel SLS as its such a rare option on a non-evo car.
    then I'd get the ITB setup on it!
    1989 Astral Silver 2.5 16v - Twin Weber 48 dcoe carbs, megajolt/edis managment, 8 pot front calipers, 17" split rims, twin m/cylinder, abs/servo delete, sls delete, smooth bay, wire tuck - too much to list!
    https://www.mercedes-cosworth.co.uk

19. DTM History - The Golden Years - YouTube[/QUOTE]

Oh, heavens. That film is so many shades of awesome. If ever there was a film that inspired me to go get a speeding ticket in my 16 valve, this is it. I do, however, have a confession that I would like to see what it is like to drive an E30 M3 - I hope that is not considered infidelity.

Great looking car. Youíve done an excellent job bringing back the car to its former glory. It really is like a childrenís picture story book: Young main character is full of promise but runs into some bad relationships that lead the main character astray. Later in the protagonistís life it shakes off the shackles of these negative influences (read bling), regains its sense of self and lives up to its potential.

I canít wait to see what you do to it next.
    87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6
    90 Nissan Skyline GTS-T 375rwhp -sold-