Thread: Moments of Freedom

Moments of Freedom

Just thought I'd share my experience today.

This holiday season brought with it a reprieve from my hardest semester of University yet, and hopefully the most demanding I ever have to face. The girlfriend came back from my school with me to do xmas with my family. I managed to get a break from work until the start of next week as well, so my responsibilities at the moment are pretty low. I had to do a fair bit of driving today, somewhere in and around the 200km mark, 90% of it on the highway. The reason being that I was dropping off the gf at a friends house for the day (Finally, I get some time to myself!). On my journey back from the blue yonder, I ran across a section of the highway with light traffic that was moving at a really nice pace. Out of habit, I am one of those guys who always has to do 10km/h faster than the traffic around me, regardless of the actual pace. Call me an ass, but I just find it more enjoyable. Today, this habit had me doing around 145-160km/h on a six lane freeway for the duration of about half an hour.

Nearly everything is broken in my car these days... Usually I spend my drives stressing about "fix this and epoxy that". I guess today I managed to let all of that go because even my CD player, with its fried screen, bad connections and dead LED lights managed the impetus to improve my drive with a flawless rendition of Stoneface & Terminal's remix of John O'Callaghan's "Out of Nowhere". (A really bangin' track if you take my recommendation)

I had forgotten what this was like.....

I guess maybe everything came together for me at the right time. I guess there's something about that speed. I could have cried were I not grinning like an idiot the whole time. As the lines were burning past and the traffic entered my rear view mirrors in slow motion, with some great music churning out of the speakers I remembered why I love this car.

It makes me feel free.
    Last edited by notrod2hotrod; 12-28-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    1989 Black 2.6 5-speed: Euros w/ H4 conversion, Clear Corners, Black Leather Factory Recaros, Pioneer DEH-9800BT, Remus Exhaust, Koni sport adjustable shocks, Cut 400E Springs, W124 Sportline Wagon Front Sway Bar, W201 Evo II Rear Sway Bar, MB Replica Rims.

^ almost brought a tear to my eye
    66"-Mercedes 200d W110 OM617 swap in progress
    79"-Volkswagen Scirocco
    89"-Toyota pickup W/ OM617 Mercedes turbo diesel swap (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by veedubfreak86 View Post
    ^ almost brought a tear to my eye
    Almost?! It did
    1986 201.034 "Berthilda" 5-speed, Evo II wheels 225/45/17, 400E front swaybar, 400e rear brakes
    1986 201.024 M104 engine, 5-speed Conversion, Updated LE trim console, 400E front sway bar, W202 springs, Limited slip Diff, 16v Steering box, 3" magnaflow exhaust system, 16v body kit, 16v Fuel tank, 16v Brake Booster, 400E calipers, MS2 3.57.
    1993 201.029 Sportline LE.

^Hahaha right there with ya man. Even with the weird noises the car makes and the squeaky almost dead front brakes and my holey exhaust, on the right day when the car is shined up and I'm on a great road I fall in love with it again.
    1989 190E 2.6 Smoke Silver, Depo euros, smoked Hella tails, Bilstein Sports (KIA)
    2001 CBR 600 F4I, Hotbodies flush mounts, undertail kit, Jardine RT-1 Exhaust
    2011 Subaru WRX, Breast Cancer Awareness RallyArmor mud flaps, 3 inch Invidia stainless catless downpipe, 3 inch stainless custom exhaust with Magnaflows

I feel you man....I feel you....litle moments like these are what will keep you sane even when things get nasty around you. Don't stop doing it once in a while .... in regards to a potential speeding ticket driving 10mph over? .... not very likely to get one but if you get it (and I've had my share), completely worth it.
    1967 280SE, Euro W108, 78K kilometers.
    1981 200, Euro W123, 170K kilometers, stock.
    1986 560sl, 125K miles, stock.
    1986 190e 2.3 16v, 72K miles
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4x4, 125K miles.
    2009 C-350 stock with AMG sport pckge.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs dude View Post
    I feel you man....I feel you....litle moments like these are what will keep you sane even when things get nasty around you. Don't stop doing it once in a while .... in regards to a potential speeding ticket driving 10mph over? .... not very likely to get one but if you get it (and I've had my share), completely worth it.
    lol.. Its more like 30MPH over but yes. :bgrin:
    1989 Black 2.6 5-speed: Euros w/ H4 conversion, Clear Corners, Black Leather Factory Recaros, Pioneer DEH-9800BT, Remus Exhaust, Koni sport adjustable shocks, Cut 400E Springs, W124 Sportline Wagon Front Sway Bar, W201 Evo II Rear Sway Bar, MB Replica Rims.

good words my man.

awsome bro, i love the moments when im reminded about why i love this car so much.

I had one of those driving to hamilton to pick up a front swaybar. its just so beautiful
    86' 190E 2.3 8v Auto Barolo Red
    [Mods:] Cladding Upgrade, S600 Grille, Vogtland Springs, Evo II's, Euros, 8k HIDs, 2.5" Catback, LED interior conversion, Updated center console, All red tails, 35% Tint

just a lovely story...........non-enthusiasts wouldn't understand. It's hard to explain (if not impossible), but it's something we all share.

With the restoration I'm doing nearing 95% complete, I'm tingling with anticipation to clean it and take it on a scenic trip to a beatiful location and do a photoshoot. While my restoration was far from cheap, I remember the days of glueing things and things not working. I wouldn't want any other 190E, mine is the one I want to keep.
    1985 190E, 2L, Auto, 280,000km, White, Black Leather Sportline Interior, Eibach/Bilstein Sport Suspension, 16v Steering Box, Transmission 1st-Gear-Start Mod, Kenwood/JBL Sound System incl 12" Sub, VDO Cruise Control, PIAA Super Plasma GT-X Low-beam + Fog lights, Philips BlueVision Parking lights, Optima Battery, Bridgestone RE002 tyres, full SecondSkin Sound Insulation

10. Beautiful! That's what cars are all about...

Just don't move to Hawaii!
    1986 16v loooonnnnnnggggggg term project.

Thanks for the words guys. It seems that Tuesday when I wrote the first post was my stereo's final symphony. It gave up the ghost completely, yesterday.

Does anyone know the expected life of a head unit? I've probably done 120,000kms in 2.5 years with this thing so say 1,500 hours (mostly highway driving). Is that high/low? I'm going to pursue a warranty claim on it just in case that can help me a bit. Aesthetically its in good condition and I've not abused it at all.

I just finished a bunch of repairs on the car and was able to enjoy a similar drive this morning to work. Car running smoothly, good music through the speakers, uninterrupted 70mph drive with zero traffic and excellent socal weather (not raining today).

Hmmmmm.... Nostalgia.

I will return to the 190e one day. Just biding my time for now, until I have the resources to do it properly.

Keep a light on in the window for me.

My 190E Web Blog
    Modifications.....1987 190E 2.3-16V, Evolution 2 Body Kit, Evo2 Wheels, Cross/Drilled Rotors, Front Polyurethane Bushings, New Rear Link set, & Yellow Speed Racing Suspension.

10000+ Pictures

hahaha, stay strong bud, you'll get there :P
    "Atlantian: Police call my actions reckless driving, I call it skills"

3x 2.3-16, one EFI dd, two project
    Aprilia RSV mille R 2001
    Honda VTR 250 project bike (650cc mono swap + EFI)
    Honda CBR 250RR 1992