Thread: my 1st track day

my 1st track day

Christ on a bike!

What a run up to my first track day in my 16v….

I took the car off the road about 4 weeks ago….I still wanted to fit my front and rear anti-roll bars (W124 front and EVO2 rear) as well as increasing the damping on the shocks, lifting the height a little, front ball joints and sealing the rear diff plate AGAIN!!!

Problems where all over the shop….had to drop the rear sub frame to replace the rear bar – anyone who tells you that its possible to fit a rear bar without dropping the frame is lying!

Once the rear end was done I turned my attention to the front, new ball joints and front bar….it was then I realised the front brake calipers were not looking to clever….quick call to Carl and the front brake upgrade was en-route…..anywho…..after faffing with the brakes I finally got to a position to bleed them on the Wednesday night, the track day was on Monday!

All going well till I stripped the bleed nipples!!! (another) quick call to Carl for part numbers and the bots were ordered on Thursday for delivery on Friday……buy Thursday PM I had bodged the nipples so I could at least drive the car to see everything was ok…..it was! Just had to prey that the parts arrived Friday Am – they didn’t!

By Fri PM it wasn’t looking good, bleed nipples where bodged, the peddle was a little spongy and to make matters worse the worlds worst squeaking noise had started….after going through the car I thought it was the alternator….

Saturday Am and I’m freaking out….last day to sort stuff before the day and I was running out of time…..the bleed nipples arrived and I headed off to Southampton to get a replacement alternator….

Sat PM I headed off to my mums in Cambridge….

Sun AM, fit replacement alternator, fit nipples, bleed brakes, final checks and its looking good….

Head off Monday at 6am to the track….then IT happened….

The fucking car broke down about 20 mins away from my mums, dad comes and tows me back…..get to mums place, replace “new” alternator with old….car fixed, squeaking problem still there but car now working….turns out replacement alternator was duff!!!

I decided to try to get to the day as it cost £200 and I was really looking forward to it…

Got there at 11.30 after missing most of the morning session, quick briefing and out on track – god it was worth it, car performed faultlessly apart from godforsaken squeaking which got so bad I decided to finish early as couldn’t risk being stuck in Bedford…got about 4hrs tracktime or about 75 laps.

Got back to mine Monday late, Tuesday sorted squeaking which turned out to be the SLS valve, changes position of arm and squeaking stopped!

So, after many many obstacles I had a great time, no thanks to the car playing silly beggars….held my own against the BMW’s and some of the standard Subaru’s…..out braked most things!!!

Only spun off track once, onto grass, so no damage….heres a pic – 16v in full on “race mode” and a copuple of me on the track…..

Trouble is I am now officially addicted and must do another!

The car really takes some abuse though….brakes and tyres especially!!

Uber thanks to Carl for coming through with the brakes in time and for the support calls!

So, roll on the ring!!!
    1989 Astral Silver 2.5 16v - Twin Weber 48 dcoe carbs, megajolt/edis managment, 8 pot front calipers, 17" split rims, twin m/cylinder, abs/servo delete, sls delete, smooth bay, wire tuck - too much to list!
    https://www.mercedes-cosworth.co.uk

Wow lookin nice, and well all it matters that you had fun, yes those breakes and tires must ahve griped and went throught the corners nice. Well good job with the w201 and keep up the godo wrok.

what kind of suspension set up do you have? how are those 500E front say bar an Evo II rear sway bar doing? how is the car handling? looks like you had a blast. track days are very addicting. over here...i pay like $280US for 8 (20min) sessions. what track is that by the way? its a lot more fun that drag racing huh? do you still have the stock steering wheel? i found it hard to use on the track...same with the stock seatbelts...they didnt keep me firm in the seat, so i was sliding around a bit

was a cool track - bedford autodrome - an airfield circuit, very flat and lots of run off on the corners! https://www.bedfordautodrome.com/

the car handled well....koni sports all round, evo2 bar rear, w127 27.5mm front, 2 pads front, 3 rear.....was good but looking at the pictures it leans a bit still.....perhaps a thicker front bar is in order?

i struggled with the seats too....deffo need full harness next time - i already have a smaller steering wheel - thanks god!
    1989 Astral Silver 2.5 16v - Twin Weber 48 dcoe carbs, megajolt/edis managment, 8 pot front calipers, 17" split rims, twin m/cylinder, abs/servo delete, sls delete, smooth bay, wire tuck - too much to list!

so the car doesnt understeer? what about upgrading to the SL500 springs? a harness is definately in order. check out www.gofastvideo.com, click on race track videos, and look for Infineon Raceway...check out those in car camera vids. thats the track i run at. very steep elevation changes, combination of tight, fast, and blind corners. lots of fun.

Start putting away some savings for tires . . . easily the biggest single, consistent cost item for weekend racers, especially if you want to be competative. Sticky street radials get chewed up fast!
    The Biggest Bargain From Germany Since Wernher Von Braun - Car & Driver November 1983

7. man...those OZ Opera's look beautiful! I love your car... :)
    1993 190E 2.3
    2000 SLK230
    2001 BMW M5
    2014 Mini Cooper

Agreed...man those rims look great on that car!
    "You show me a man who at 50 looks at life the same way he did at 30, and I'll show you a man who wasted 20 years of his life"

1986 2.3-16V 1st US spec 16V Imported
    1992 2.6 - sold
    1991 2.3 - sold

Oooh, and someone has a new sig aswell! 8)

Like I said to you before, glad it all worked out ok for you in the end..

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/V190E/New-sig2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UK Benz
    Oooh, and someone has a new sig aswell! 8)

Like I said to you before, glad it all worked out ok for you in the end..

couldnt resist!!!

talking about cool rims..... :: ::

anything you want to tell me yet?

::

Very soon my friend!

::

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/V190E/New-sig2.jpg