my 1st track day
Christ on a bike!
What a run up to my first track day in my 16v….
I took the car off the road about 4 weeks ago….I still wanted to fit my front and rear anti-roll bars (W124 front and EVO2 rear) as well as increasing the damping on the shocks, lifting the height a little, front ball joints and sealing the rear diff plate AGAIN!!!
Problems where all over the shop….had to drop the rear sub frame to replace the rear bar – anyone who tells you that its possible to fit a rear bar without dropping the frame is lying!
Once the rear end was done I turned my attention to the front, new ball joints and front bar….it was then I realised the front brake calipers were not looking to clever….quick call to Carl and the front brake upgrade was en-route…..anywho…..after faffing with the brakes I finally got to a position to bleed them on the Wednesday night, the track day was on Monday!
All going well till I stripped the bleed nipples!!! (another) quick call to Carl for part numbers and the bots were ordered on Thursday for delivery on Friday……buy Thursday PM I had bodged the nipples so I could at least drive the car to see everything was ok…..it was! Just had to prey that the parts arrived Friday Am – they didn’t!
By Fri PM it wasn’t looking good, bleed nipples where bodged, the peddle was a little spongy and to make matters worse the worlds worst squeaking noise had started….after going through the car I thought it was the alternator….
Saturday Am and I’m freaking out….last day to sort stuff before the day and I was running out of time…..the bleed nipples arrived and I headed off to Southampton to get a replacement alternator….
Sat PM I headed off to my mums in Cambridge….
Sun AM, fit replacement alternator, fit nipples, bleed brakes, final checks and its looking good….
Head off Monday at 6am to the track….then IT happened….
The fucking car broke down about 20 mins away from my mums, dad comes and tows me back…..get to mums place, replace “new” alternator with old….car fixed, squeaking problem still there but car now working….turns out replacement alternator was duff!!!
I decided to try to get to the day as it cost £200 and I was really looking forward to it…
Got there at 11.30 after missing most of the morning session, quick briefing and out on track – god it was worth it, car performed faultlessly apart from godforsaken squeaking which got so bad I decided to finish early as couldn’t risk being stuck in Bedford…got about 4hrs tracktime or about 75 laps.
Got back to mine Monday late, Tuesday sorted squeaking which turned out to be the SLS valve, changes position of arm and squeaking stopped!
So, after many many obstacles I had a great time, no thanks to the car playing silly beggars….held my own against the BMW’s and some of the standard Subaru’s…..out braked most things!!!
Only spun off track once, onto grass, so no damage….heres a pic – 16v in full on “race mode” and a copuple of me on the track…..
Trouble is I am now officially addicted and must do another!
The car really takes some abuse though….brakes and tyres especially!!
Uber thanks to Carl for coming through with the brakes in time and for the support calls!
So, roll on the ring!!!
1989 Astral Silver 2.5 16v - Twin Weber 48 dcoe carbs, megajolt/edis managment, 8 pot front calipers, 17" split rims, twin m/cylinder, abs/servo delete, sls delete, smooth bay, wire tuck - too much to list!