Thread: New member looking to buy 190E 2.3 16V

New member looking to buy 190E 2.3 16V

Hi folks, I just joined this forum having been bitten by the 16V bug. I remember this car from years ago when I was shopping for one or an E30 M3..I never acquired the 16V and subsequently got hooked on a BMW 3.0CS that I eventually restored and drive to car events/shows, etc.

But I want a daily driver in the next few years and think a 16V would be just the ticket. I test drove one the other day out here in Vienna VA close to my home but it's an automatic; it also comes with a manual and related parts for a conversion but the asking price is a little high I think and I'm not sure how complicated the tranny conversion would be or who could do that well.

So I'm open to an 87 or 87 and the Euro version would be even nice if I could one with those lovely plaid seats and higher power. My budget would be around $25k for a car in great condition. I've done the "drive a rough car for a while and then restore it" and I don't think I have the energy to go through that again for a lesser priced 16v right now with a full time job, three kids, etc...I'm also smitten with original condition, and the Smoke Silver paint. All I might add are the 16" SL wheels and bump the stock horsepower to something closer to Euro spec. BTW, I converted my dual carb CS to L Jetronic fuel injection with Megasquirt years ago and I'm very happy with those results - stock CSI look with lots more power and reliability.

There are a few 16v examples on Hemmings right now and BaT has them once in a while but my Google search on Craig's list has come up short. With my 3.0CS, their forum is pretty complete with parts, repair advice and cars for sale but the 16V forum here doesn't seem to be as active.

Any thoughts on who has a car for sale or where I might look for further candidates? I'm in no hurry and can spend the next year or so looking...

Thank you in advance,

Wayne

Great first post. Very clear on personal history and objectives.
    I can suggest detailing your budget into acquisition cost & fixes, as that makes a big difference in what you chase after.
    I suppose that division was captured in your comment about your disinterest in another restoration.
    With such a healthy budget you might be able to contract out the fixing of a not-great.
    Also, with such a healthy budget, there are plenty of newer toys around that are more than equal to the 16V and don't require fixing.
    My personal example is our '18 C300 daily at $30K. Drives better, faster, cheaper.
    Yes, The Rev is now much quieter than its heyday.
    The youths left for the social media city.
    But the archives are unmatched with technical wisdom of the ancients.
    '86 190E 16V, museum piece since '98

BaT, as you mentioned, is where I was hunting for mine for quite some time. Eventually I found the right car (at the right price) on Ebay, of all places. I bought it sight unseen and its mechanical fuel injection system is shot beyond repair, but I plan to rebuild it for track use, so the tragedy is minor.

I would also recommend carsforsale.com. There are usually a handful on there from around the country.

Wayne:

I'm assuming the car you test drove was Robert's car? His car is an excellent example and is only available since I helped him secure his Pearl black 16V. The automatic to manual swap is straightforward. I have helped with several including my own W124 from auto to manual.

Jeff

Web forums have declined with the moves to social media, but we'll keep the lights on here as long as people find it a good resource. I cringe at some of the very dated posts, but it's history.
    The Biggest Bargain From Germany Since Wernher Von Braun - Car & Driver November 1983

Thanks for keeping this site alive.

This forum and its generous members have kept my 190s on the road. I really hope it's here to stay.
    Last edited by chaunceington; 01-08-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Hi Wayne, I have a 16v for sale.

1986 black in color USA model
    Factory 5 speed
    Original engine spun a bearing and has been fully rebuilt with the following:
    - 10.5:1 forged pistons
    - Dbilas camshafts (280 duration)
    - Uses stronger (early Euro) crank-guided connecting rods
    This was all built on the original engine block and head, engine builder is in NY and builds McLaren F1 engines as well. Engine has just finished its break-in miles and is VERY strong, fastest 16v I have ever driven.

Let me know if you're interested, I was planning to list on Bring-A-Trailer soon.
    1985 190E 2.3-16 Euro

the well of information on this site dedicated to w201's & its respectable counter parts though compatibility are much too great to disappear.