Thread: Photobucket recovery

Photobucket recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Maximb View Post
    Just make a new account
    I've been a heavy user of 3rd party hosted pics and I assume, without even checking, that the abrupt change in policy by Photobucket (from free to subscription) cut a wide swath thru all my Rev posts of the last 15 years.
    Since any other "free" hosting site could also, outside of my control, pull the plug at any time for any reason, I instead have man'd up and established my own paid-for server under my own domain name.
    It's just naked hardware with no photo album layered on top so I load it via sFTP.
    The ($120/yr) cost of the server gets subtracted out of my associated business revenue from automotive parts and services.
    The server will also host my business website(s) when I get that ambitious.
    The risk going forward is that if for whatever reason (death, destitution) I stop making payments on my own server, the links again go away.

Over two days I have already redirect links in the BMW world where it matters most.
    In most cases I was able to retrieve content from Photobucket.
    Occasionally I have to sleuth my local drive.
    190rev is more of a problem. The links are more scattered, the motivation more distant.
    Over in Ford space, the my posts get locked after 30 days. Oh, well.
    I'll get to my Rev technical threads, eventually. The banal chatter, probably not.
    '86 190E 16V, museum piece since '98

I've never used Photobucket personally, but navigating their site became super damn annoying in the recent months - chock full'o ads, could not easily *right click > "save image as", adblock pop-ups, etc.

Imageshack did the same thing a few years back. But at least they sent a warning out, which I did not heed.

Use Imgur, its a much better platform.

I just learned about a browser plugin called "photobucket fixer" available for both Firefox and Chrome.

Works!

It would be good to have some instant presto magic.
    Instead I've been at it now for 3 months across 3 forums and finally have most of the Schools and the Ultimate Overhaul cleaned up.
    While in there I made corrections to my english and added embedded links within 'Overhaul' to supporting topics (that were published by me).
    '86 190E 16V, museum piece since '98