Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 190e - v8 - EvoII

The 1M should be 1500 kg. In any event, the W201 is substantially lighter.
    1987 W201 190E 16v: Vintage racer
    1990 300CE-24 Coupe: Daily driver
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16: Weekend toy

Quote Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
    The 1M should be 1500 kg. In any event, the W201 is substantially lighter.
    It was only a 135i :(

Look forward to seeing how the project goes!!, plenty of pics on the rack conversion please

Quote Originally Posted by pagz View Post
    Look forward to seeing how the project goes!!, plenty of pics on the rack conversion please
    It's currently on hold as I'm travelling Europe for a while.

My research is telling me a w210* rack is needed. My brother suggested using an electric steering pump for pressure, his friends have used an astra's steering pump for drift cars with success. When I get back I think I will try and source some parts and test things out.

*Edit: wrong model
    Last edited by Anasasis; 06-13-2017 at 06:07 PM.

i'm using a nissan s13 rack and an mr2 electric pump. you might want to consider a w210 rack instead of a w212 due to the width.
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

Quote Originally Posted by secretmachine View Post
    i'm using a nissan s13 rack and an mr2 electric pump. you might want to consider a w210 rack instead of a w212 due to the width.
    Yeah, that was a typo. w210 was the suggested rack.
    Why did you use a s15 SecretMachine, and not the w210?

i went with it because of aftermarket bits selection for extra steering angle.

UPDATE: Purchased a w210 steering rack for $100 AUD just waiting to pick it up and then the car will be delivered for fabrication to fit the engine, gearbox and new steering system.

YES!!!! Pictures as it goes please and thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by secretmachine View Post
    YES!!!! Pictures as it goes please and thank you :)
    The fab shop will be busy for the next few weeks, but I will ask they take photos as they go. I might even see if they will allow me to hang around the shop whilst they work on the car to take pictures and learn a few things.

I'm so excited, but still have to wait a few weeks. I'm considering trying to find a diff in the next few weeks and hopefully I can get most of the driveline done at once. I guess I have a bunch of research to do. Happy to accept suggestions, I'm obviously looking for a LSD that can handle the m113k.

I'll keep everyone posted

a 210mm ring gear diff with cover and flanges swapped to fit 201 subframe with the wavetrac inside it would be your best merc based option. nissan r200 diff with the subframe modified to fit it would be the best non-merc option. you would still need to address half shafts in either case as they would be the next weak point.

I spoke to a bloke with a very unique 190e, as seen here - https://driftbestlink.wordpress.com/...mercedes-benz/

His suggestion was the r200 with subframe modified, and custom driveshaft/half shafts. He was even nice enough to offer pictures, which I am patiently waiting for.

No progress for the moment as I'm waiting for a fabrication shop to call me back. The annoying part is I have all this money waiting to purchase various parts but I don't know exactly what I need until I progress further.

I will have to take more pictures this weekend after I pull off some panels and remove some wiring; just cleaning up loose bits and pieces.

If anyone is looking for spare parts I may have what you need. Feel free to comment/PM me.

Best of luck. Anything new? Did you fit the steering rack?

Quote Originally Posted by supracrazy View Post
    Best of luck. Anything new? Did you fit the steering rack?
    Progress on 17/07/17
    Yes, multiple new things, but nothing major unfortunately. The fabricator got back to me and he will be busy for the next 6 weeks or so, I've decided to strip the remaining stuff out of the car while I wait.

Doors are off
    Boot off
    Bonnet off
    Head/tail lights removed
    All the wiring/systems almost out; I'm trying not to take the easy route and cut it all out; I figure the extra time now might help the auto elec later on
    Front panels off (front bumper staying to test fit engine/intercooler)

To Do List:
    -Rear bumper removed
    -Side skirts removed
    -Remove all wiring
    -Remove aircon
    -Remove headliner and sunroof

Pictures:
    http://i.imgur.com/WPfYNNc.jpg - The car at the moment
    http://i.imgur.com/Rw4Nxzm.jpg - A quick look at how filthy the car is under the panels
    http://i.imgur.com/AjMAPVq.jpg - The doors and front panels

The only issue so far is rust throughout the boot floor which is easy to replace, I might fabricate in an area for the fuel cell and remove the spare wheel; and some very minor rust around the front door hinges.
    The car is absolutely filthy, probably about 10kg worth of dust/dirt throughout the car and engine bay; I cannot wait to restore it.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to buy new front wishbones and rear cradle in AUSTRALIA. I figure I may as well replace everything now as opposed to later. I need 1989 2.6L RHD parts.
    Last edited by Anasasis; 07-18-2017 at 03:59 AM.

It looked like it was an AMG or Sportline, originally.
    Nice work!

Looks like I've hit a big snag - I didn't thoroughly check out the transport laws; after a few phone calls today it seems that the car cannot be registered in my state using the supercharged v8. The law allow me to use a NA engine up to 7,000cc and a turbo/supercharged engine up to 4,300cc.

I now have to decide if I want to make this a track only car, or change to a different engine and be able to use it on the road. As you can imagine I'm kicking myself for not checking this out sooner and I'm annoyed that I live in such a nanny state.

For my lifestyle a track only car would be a waste of time/money; I don't even have a trailer/tow car. So looks like I'll be swapping engine, most likely to a m113 v8... so basically the same engine but without a fucking supercharger...

Quote Originally Posted by Anasasis View Post
    Looks like I've hit a big snag - I didn't thoroughly check out the transport laws; after a few phone calls today it seems that the car cannot be registered in my state using the supercharged v8. The law allow me to use a NA engine up to 7,000cc and a turbo/supercharged engine up to 4,300cc.

I now have to decide if I want to make this a track only car, or change to a different engine and be able to use it on the road. As you can imagine I'm kicking myself for not checking this out sooner and I'm annoyed that I live in such a nanny state.

For my lifestyle a track only car would be a waste of time/money; I don't even have a trailer/tow car. So looks like I'll be swapping engine, most likely to a m113 v8... so basically the same engine but without a fucking supercharger...
    M113 came in a 4266cc engine variant. Just find the engine code and change yours to that code. No one will know

Quote Originally Posted by Maximb View Post
    M113 came in a 4266cc engine variant. Just find the engine code and change yours to that code. No one will know
    It's not me who does the paperwork, a qualified mechanic has to complete it.

How would a "qualified" mechanic know? Just tell them it's a 430 motor with a blower. What kind of dumbass law limits what size motor you can have? ����

Quote Originally Posted by supracrazy View Post
    How would a "qualified" mechanic know? Just tell them it's a 430 motor with a blower. What kind of dumbass law limits what size motor you can have? ����
    I couldn't agree more, the laws are ridiculous, I can fit a v12 7L NA motor, but not a 5L v8 supercharged.... What?
    It's pretty typical of Australian road laws, anything with a turbo/supercharger is deemed as a 'hoon'. On your provisional license you can't even drive little 1.3L turbos. Yet at the same time emission standards force every car maker to utilise turbo engines to meet the CO2 standards. I could write a novel about my dislike of Australia road/car regulations, but I won't waste everyone's time. Essentially policy makers dislike car enthusiasts.

Most mechanics are pretty switched on and don't want to be liable for any worst case scenarios in the future, and straight out asking mechanics to bend the law generally gets met with a 'fuck off'.

It will actually be considerably easier to use a m113 with a manual gearbox and aftermarket management than the m113k, and it will cost probably $10,000 or so less.

So just as I was about to drop a bunch of money on new parts, I'm going to have to replan my build and I will keep everyone posted.