Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 8v 5 speed vs 2.6 5 speed

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mont-Tremblant
    Posts
    17

    8v 5 speed vs 2.6 5 speed

    I own a 1993 8v 5 speed which is pretty reliable, body wise it's good, but it's not perfect. My front driver fender is rust badly, one of my windows switch is broken, i'm missing a trim, the clear on the wood is cracking, my front driver seat is worn, grill is ugly because it was painted and headlight are cracked but the rest is really nice


    Now

    There is this 1990 2.6 5 speed same color as mine (black with grey panneling) with euro light.
    It's still in running condition but was involve in a small accident (rear passenger door is damaged, there is the rocker panel that is bent but and it's missing some cladding around the point of impact)

    Well, i could buy that car for part, that way i could get extra part (transmisison, shifter assembly, pedal assembly, doors, seats, cluster, diff, axle)... replace all of my problematic parts (fender, switch, trim, headlight)



    My question is... for the transmission, what is the difference if there is any. Also, is there any specific part that are better on the 2.6 5 speed compare to a 2.3 8v 5 speed?

    For those wondering what i would do with the i6... i want to keep the 8v for now.


    Thanks :)

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    263
    The flywheel off of the 2.6 will be different for sure as far as reference marks and diameter go. I think the 2.6 transmission is longer than the 8v and potentially stronger. If you ever swapped it then you would need the front drive shaft to account for the length. As far as gearing goes, the standard pattern 5-speeds are the same, the only one different is the dogleg getrag which doesn't have an overdrive. I've been trying to figure this out more concretely so if anyone is sure, I'd also like to know.
    84 8v 5 speed ---- 93 2.6 auto ---- 1.8t swapped Audi Fox ---- 02 Lifted Discovery II

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mont-Tremblant
    Posts
    17
    Good, i knew there was some kinda of difference. I guess the single mass flywheel and maybe the shift pattern?

    My reverse is near the second gear and maybe the other one is under the fifth gear.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Reno Nevada
    Posts
    335
    The main difference is the flywheel in the 2.6 is damn near worth its weight in gold.
    -1990 190E 2.6 (to be sold)
    -1989 190E 3.0 5SPD - Resto-Mod, euro lights w/ smoked corners, leather steering wheel, 16v Recaro's front and rear, 16v rear wing, AMG monoblock II's, rear headrests, '93 console w/euro cubby, Apline head, custom trunk audio setup that holds 10" Earthquake sub w/ planet audio 700 watt 5 channel amp.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,130
    Gear ratios I think
    1986 201.034 "Berthilda" 5-speed, Evo II wheels 225/45/17, 400E front swaybar, 400e rear brakes
    1986 201.024 M104 engine, 5-speed Conversion, Updated LE trim console, 400E front sway bar, W202 springs, Limited slip Diff, 16v Steering box, 3" magnaflow exhaust system, 16v body kit, 16v Fuel tank, 16v Brake Booster, 400E calipers, MS2 3.57.
    1993 201.029 Sportline LE.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    fontana ca.
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by carmaniac37 View Post
    The flywheel off of the 2.6 will be different for sure as far as reference marks and diameter go. I think the 2.6 transmission is longer than the 8v and potentially stronger. If you ever swapped it then you would need the front drive shaft to account for the length. As far as gearing goes, the standard pattern 5-speeds are the same, the only one different is the dogleg getrag which doesn't have an overdrive. I've been trying to figure this out more concretely so if anyone is sure, I'd also like to know.
    I'm doing a search to find out if the driveshaft in 2.3 with a 5 speed manual is the same length as in the 2.6 with a 5 speed manual? Can anyone help me ?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by benzguy300 View Post
    I'm doing a search to find out if the driveshaft in 2.3 with a 5 speed manual is the same length as in the 2.6 with a 5 speed manual? Can anyone help me ?
    Pretty sure the 2.6 5-speed is longer than the 8v 5-speed meaning the 2.6 driveshaft will be shorter than the 8v one.
    84 8v 5 speed ---- 93 2.6 auto ---- 1.8t swapped Audi Fox ---- 02 Lifted Discovery II

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    fontana ca.
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by carmaniac37 View Post
    Pretty sure the 2.6 5-speed is longer than the 8v 5-speed meaning the 2.6 driveshaft will be shorter than the 8v one.
    You probably are right I have the transmission and driveshaft from a 190D and the 5 speed driveshaft from a W124 and the driveshaft from the 190D is longer then the W124 5 speed but what got me thinking is that I did a swap in my 300TD using the parts from a 300E 6 cylinder after a year or so I sold the transmission and I swap one from a 4 cylinder 190 and the same driveshaft fit. I wish I have the transmission from a 6 cylinder car so I can compare them
    Last edited by benzguy300; 03-22-2017 at 05:38 PM.

  9. #9
    What is it that you would like to find out?
    I have a 5 Speed transmission out of a 2.6
    Quote Originally Posted by benzguy300 View Post
    You probably are right I have the transmission and driveshaft from a 190D and the 5 speed driveshaft from a W124 and the driveshaft from the 190D is longer then the W124 5 speed but what got me thinking is that I did a swap in my 300TD using the parts from a 300E 6 cylinder after a year or so I sold the transmission and I swap one from a 4 cylinder 190 and the same driveshaft fit. I wish I have the transmission from a 6 cylinder car so I can compare them
    Last edited by Stevester 500e; 06-08-2017 at 11:09 PM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    fontana ca.
    Posts
    255
    Tanks Steve I would like to find out the length of the 5 speed transmission out off the 2.6 and the length of the driveshaft out off the same car 2.6

  11. #11
    I will measure the transmission this weekend, but unfortunately I don't have the driveshaft out of a 2.6
    I have a 5 speed driveshaft out of an 8V 2.3.
    I am actually looking to purchase a driveshaft from an 12V 5 speed 190e 2.6.
    Last edited by Stevester 500e; 06-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.

  12. #12
    The transmission lengths:
    717.435 (5 speed single mass) is 18.5"
    The getrag dogleg transmission is 21.375"

  13. #13
    Find someone to make you a Flex disk spacer. Matt Kwiek did it with his 3.6 equipped cossie a while back IIRC. it would be similar looking to the OEM Flex disk but billet and 2.875' thick.

  14. #14
    Does anyone know the length of the 5 speed transmissions that came out of 2.3 8V's?

  15. #15
    Do you know the length of the 5 speed tranny out of a 2.3 8V 5 speed?
    I know you had a couple of the trannies a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by benzguy300 View Post
    Tanks Steve I would like to find out the length of the 5 speed transmission out off the 2.6 and the length of the driveshaft out off the same car 2.6

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    fontana ca.
    Posts
    255
    Same length 18.5" for the 717410 and 717411 as the 717435 but the front part of the driveshaft has a different length between the 717410 and the 717435 maybe the back part is different

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    fontana ca.
    Posts
    255
    I know why the drive shaft is longer in the older models the differential is smaller that is why they a longer drive shaft

  18. #18
    Do you know the difference between the 717.411 and the 717.412?

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    fontana ca.
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500e View Post
    Do you know the difference between the 717.411 and the 717.412?
    Almost the same transmission the 412 is newer then the .411 and the gear ratios are almost identical the diference I see is the 412 came with the 9" flywheel and the timing tabs on the back so if you see one at the JY get it or let me know

Similar Threads

  1. i got a need for speed
    By Evolution in forum The Gentlemen's Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •