Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Brown Benz (M104-Megasquirt)

Also, that wagon wasn't an m. It was a normal wagon with a m3 sedan body moulded to it, I must say he did a Damn good job though.

What's the 5 speed gearbox you have, 717.xxx? Also, what is your final drive ratio? Are you pleased with it?

I have a similar engine (in a W114 Coupé) with a 717.450 dogleg and a 3,69 final drive. It's fine for circuit but revs too high on freeway. I'm looking for a diff of 3,07. Any comments on this?

Cheers :)

Quote Originally Posted by _McKnight View Post
    Also, that wagon wasn't an m. It was a normal wagon with a m3 sedan body moulded to it, I must say he did a Damn good job though.
    Had me fooled... I also don't know my beemers at all. And yes, the LS C10 was sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by hismajestics View Post
    What's the 5 speed gearbox you have, 717.xxx? Also, what is your final drive ratio? Are you pleased with it?

I have a similar engine (in a W114 Coupé) with a 717.450 dogleg and a 3,69 final drive. It's fine for circuit but revs too high on freeway. I'm looking for a diff of 3,07. Any comments on this?

Cheers :)
    I have the 5-speed out of an 8v 2.3... so not a dogleg. 5th gear is an overdrive. Rear end is factory 2.6 auto stuff. Not really sure on any numbers, read somewhere its a 2.85. I have no idea. Cruise is about 2800 rpm at 65 mph with 205-40-17 tires. The cruise is good but I'd be okay with a shorter final drive to tighten up the shifts a bit. Otherwise it works great with the powerband.
    84 8v 5 speed ---- 93 2.6 auto ---- 1.8t swapped Audi Fox ---- 02 Lifted Discovery II

I don't mean to brag or anything but like... I'm in the Stancenation H2Oi 2015 After Movie at 2:20 Out there pulling mad skids and boosting the value of our cars!

84 8v 5 speed ---- 93 2.6 auto ---- 1.8t swapped Audi Fox ---- 02 Lifted Discovery II

I saw the video this morning and came here to post this haha, see you next year!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Just dawned on me that I never updated this thread. I did post on Instagram about it but HEY!!!

GUESS WHAT GUYS!!!

I done blowed it.

There's a video, I'll upload it shortly. Just out doin some donuts and hooliganism, probably oil starved on the rev limiter and sent a piston into the spark plug.

Good thing I still have the spare 104 from when I mistook a loose flywheel for rod knock.

It's still winter here in NY but I'll get working on it soonish, got some other stuff to put on it too.

Threw a rod... cylinder 1

Put the new engine in... blew the front giubo

Made another replacement shift rod end and some bushings.

202Brabus hooked a brother up with a new driveshaft and flex disc

Ripped around Watkin's Glen this weekend for opening day.

http://vid1216.photobucket.com/album...ps0j56zfb4.mp4

Runnin like a champ!!

Did you manage to make MS control the original throttle body for idle? I'm also busy with a M104 3.2 turbo build, just in a different chassis. Looking into options for making the idle work using the original tb.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareMercy View Post
    Did you manage to make MS control the original throttle body for idle?
    If it's a CIS motor, then just run the PWM 2 wire valve - easy to setup and they work well.

If you've got an HFM things are more complex because it's 'drive-by'wire' you can generally go one of two ways:

1. manipulate the set screw on the TB... works, but crude and won't account for load changes (AC, electronics, etc)

2. build a DBW controller (gotta build it because nobody offers one off the shelf for liability reasons, AFAIK)
    Here's a thread at MSextra where somebody did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by carmaniac37 View Post
    Ripped around Watkin's Glen this weekend for opening day.
    Lucky guy, color me jealous!

Used to spend summers in Pulaski with my Aunt when I was a kid... we'd always go to Watkins Glen in August for the Nascar event (back when it was still the Winston Cup, lol)

One hell of a road course - I always dreamed of driving it myself :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScareMercy View Post
    Did you manage to make MS control the original throttle body for idle? I'm also busy with a M104 3.2 turbo build, just in a different chassis. Looking into options for making the idle work using the original tb.
    I still have no provision for Idle. Haven't touched the car in a few months after being out of the country. The simplest solution which has been done before is using the PWM 2 wire valve from a CIS motor. Installing it using existing vacuum ports on the 3.2 manifolds is fairly straight forward and so is Megasquirt control. You will need to mess with the set screw in any case or it will idle too high.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmon View Post
    Lucky guy, color me jealous!

Used to spend summers in Pulaski with my Aunt when I was a kid... we'd always go to Watkins Glen in August for the Nascar event (back when it was still the Winston Cup, lol)

One hell of a road course - I always dreamed of driving it myself :)
    The track was repaved at the end of last season. Opening day is just parade laps, although when done in a car club, the laps are slightly spirited. The fresh tarmac is phenomenal and lap records are all over the place now. I did go back for a driver's school with the modified company Audi A3 and got some proper full throttle seat time. It's absolutely one of the more exciting tracks in the nation although I don't have driving experience on any others.

It's absolutely one of the more exciting tracks in the nation although I don't have driving experience on any others.
    Right up there with Mosport, Tremblant, VIR, and Mid-Ohio.

My only issue with the Glen is that (like Sebring) it's kind of frustrating unless you've got huge power.
    1987 W201 190E 16v: Vintage racer
    1990 300CE-24 Coupe: Daily driver
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16: Weekend toy

what did you use for you launch control button?
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

Quote Originally Posted by secretmachine View Post
    what did you use for you launch control button?
    Just a toggle switch under the dash.

I don't mean to brag or anything but like... I'm in the https://skinnyexpress.com/phen375-review-results Phen375 Stancenation H2Oi 2015 After Movie at 2:20 Out there pulling mad skids and boosting the value of our cars!

ha ha that's awesome.
    Last edited by Gromser; 03-25-2018 at 07:52 AM.

hey did u change some settings? all your pics don't work anymore. Was using this thread for my own build

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    hey did u change some settings? all your pics don't work anymore. Was using this thread for my own build
    Haven't changed anything. Pics still work for me even without being logged in to Photobucket. What's the error you get?

I have always been told these manuals can't handle much torque, how is yours holding up? I'm wanting to put an M104 in front of a 260E manual trans but also want it to last, at least until I figure out a 6 speed for a high power application.

Quote Originally Posted by w201fanman View Post
    I have always been told these manuals can't handle much torque, how is yours holding up? I'm wanting to put an M104 in front of a 260E manual trans but also want it to last, at least until I figure out a 6 speed for a high power application.
    Trans is holding up fine. I'm not running a 6-puck clutch or anything crazy which is important. I've got essentially the softest clutch possible which will still hold the power. That means, stock pressure plate with a stage 3 single plate disc. Engagement is buttery smooth and it never fails to grab, we will see how it handles the wavetrac but that's why I have a 6 speed at the ready.