Thread: Marrymemercedes' 1990 Signal Red 190e

Marrymemercedes' 1990 Signal Red 190e

I figured I should start a thread for this car so everyone can track the build once it starts. It is a MY1990 2.6 in signal red (568). The car as it currently sits is 100% stock, wearing a patch of primer to stop the small rust bubble from turning into more of a problem. I have big plans for this car which I have been working on for a while. Progress may be slow but rest assured this is not a project that will fall into the oblivion of unfinished cars. I wanted to start this so my progress is documented and to provide me an extra little bit of motivation to get it done.

Pics taken by a good friend Roshan (had I known we were going to snap some I would have given it a quick wax, oh well):

A brief history
    My father drove this car brand new off the lot in May of 1990 for his 39th birthday. I began driving it shortly after I received my learners permit (at 14 as was Alberta law at the time ) and finally purchased it from him when I turned 18. Admittedly, I beat the hell out of this car in my first years of driving. It has been sideways, airborne and up on two wheels a few more times than I care to admit. A student budget meant that it did not receive the care it deserved all the time (although I always kept it clean with fresh oil). It has started to show some signs of those years of neglect but it is still a solid daily drivable car. The fact that it took such abuse without blowing up/breaking down or disintegrating completely is a true testament to the cars design and build quality. I’ll update this as I go but expect the real build to begin this winter as I’m still driving this around until I get the 16v up and running again. Thanks for reading!

A few more pics can be found here: W201 Signal Red It's a blogspot that was set up by the photographer Roshan after we went for a little cruise.
    87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6
    90 Nissan Skyline GTS-T 375rwhp -sold-

Finally pics of your car. What kind of build are you planning to do?

I believe the fate of all Signal Red 190's is an M104, and maybe a turbocharger.

...and if it's not, it should be.

I love it! I don't remember seeing this color in real life before.
    '85 W201 Euro 2.3-16v
    '88 E30 M3
    '86 AE86 Trueno Itb's
    '63 Locost/Lotus 7 repl Turbo
    '93 W124 500E

thanks for the new desktop background
    1987 mercedes 190e 2.3 5spd
    1993 190e "WALD" c36
    1993 190e Sportline LE with 16v body kit

Thanks for all the comments guys. I’ve always really been a fan of this colour, in fact, I’ve always wondered why Mercedes hadnt put out the 16v in signal red. It’s great to hear that my car has already graced someone else’s desktop background other than my own! I’ll have to tell the photographer as I’m sure he’d be pleased. I promise when it’s finished it won’t have to rely on beautiful scenery to be background worthy .

MAG58 is correct about the direction of the engine but he may have had some inside information . The M104 will be fitted this winter but the turbo will be put on hold until everything else on the car is finished so that may be delayed until winter of 2013-14. The engine will be mated to a non-dogleg 5spd and 3.07 euro LSD.

The suspension will be centered around the DA coilover kit from Ground Control with bits from Ake RT as well. The rest of the suspension not touched by the “performance department” will be refreshed with new replacement parts. I also have a set of the early 500e aluminum Brembo calipers that have already been rebuilt and are only awaiting paint.

The exterior of the car will be an evo 1 clone although finished off in signal red instead of the usual 199.

I’ve left tonnes of little things out but I think that’s a pretty good Coles Notes version of what I’m planning to do. Most of the bits have already been purchased or sourced although I am still in need of a 16 valve kit and of course I’m waiting for Ake to start/ finish making the evo 1 kit.

Things I still need, send me a PM if you have and want to sell relatively cheaply :bgrin::
    500e rear brakes
    500e and 400e front swaybar
    16v kit

Oh and another shot of my car from a meet I attended last Sunday:

I welcome all comments, suggestions, and advice from your own builds as well. Thanks for reading,
    Last edited by marrymemercedes; 07-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6

Long-time no update. Not much has been done since last updating this thread. It now sports a set of ragged BBS RS 098 but otherwise is all the same. It hasn’t accumulated too many miles. The engine recently died for a yet undiagnosed issue but I think I finally found the fix though:

It came with an interesting story. Japanese import 1996 E320 “AMG” with 72xxx km (I know that Japanese mileage is notoriously under-claimed but I did get a look at the chassis it came from and it was CLEAN). Engine looks clean inside as well. I originally scoffed that the car had any AMG affiliation but there was an plate on the driver doorsill

Funny that this would be made in 1995 as a 1996 MY but sported the pre-merger AMG logo. I don't think my engine has ever had anything AMG whispered into it but still an interesting little find. I wasn't able to see what other AMG bits the car had as it was fairly well stripped when I saw it. I remember hearing that AMG Japan was different in the pre merger days somewhere on this thread but couldn't dig up any details as information on pre merger AMG is pretty scarce. This, what-I-assume-to-be emissions sticker was on the hood.

A couple of other pictures of it once in my (very dirty and unorganized) garage.

I have the full wiring harness with all the connectors to make my life a little easier when it comes time for the swap. It’s claimed that it is the non biodegradable one but I have no knowledge how to confirm that or not. I’m missing a few things like the AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump and air injection pump but can pull those from the JY next weekend. Other things I need to check is to see if I have the non ASR throttle body (will also have to figure out how to check but I’m sure its easy with a part number).

There are a few good threads on here I was going to use as a guide like BrownBenz and Mcarthers threads (let me know if there are others that are good). I was going to go stand alone, I was leaning towards VEMS over MS3 as secretmachine was very detailed in his wiring descriptions in Mcarther’s build. Your PM box will likely explode shortly secretmachine. I was going to go with the turbobandit trigger wheel as well as their VR sensor bracket as I don’t have a lot (read none) machining experience. I’ll also need a wideband O2 sensor and throttle cable out of a W202 c280. Anything else I've forgotten?

I have a single mass flywheel out of a w124 300e and I’ll be doing the transmission swap all at the same time. I haven’t got a clutch for that yet but have everything else (thanks for the lines Nikolai!). One more pic because why not.

87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6

let the pm's overflow! excited to see where you're taking it!
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

I'm amped about it too. Work will start next week when I have some time off. I'll grab the electric smog pump (since it appears thats the bracket I have), alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor and W124 exhaust manifolds at the JY on Monday. I'll order the Turbobandit trigger wheel and VR sensor this week as well. Have you been happy with VEMS? any recommendations on exactly what I should order? I was also going to order the Luk clutch off Rockauto. I saw lots of issues with spec clutches from both brownbenz and 202brabus' threads. Any tips or suggestions from anyone who has travelled this path are more than welcome!
    87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6

Nice to see the project is on track. Looking forward to seeing it progress!

when mcarthers was driving for a little bit i was really impressed with the smoothness of the one i got for it from 202brabs, he had some made and they were decently priced. i havent gotten to really drive hard on it though before the oiling disaster. but that car is about to be done... again... so im looking forward to getting to know it better while the tuning starts. engine is done and getting ready to get the car from storage to get the engine and trans back in. tuning content will start soon after, look for that on @rennbereit and here in mcarther's thread. that's gonna be fun stuff.

i do like vems, it's very capable but not as popular i guess. it's friendly for the tinkerer, and has loads of features; boost control, anti-lag, nos control, boost by gear, wot shift cut, launch control, staged injection, fully sequential ign and inj support up to 8 cyls (wasted spark up to 16), drive by wire, built-in full ignition drivers or logic level output to run smart coils if you choose, but mainstream tuners are likely to turn you down to work on it, they're a little snooty sometimes. they prefer spendy and common stuff like aem infinity, link, motec and most often hptuners (dem LS bois!!!). Fueltech is another cool one, its ecu is a digital dash, and it's tunable via that dash or a laptop.

MS is fine but i have gripes around it being cheap upfront, and then costing you a bunch more in the stuff it doesnt come with built-in, that others do, when looking at the overall price-point. you gotta pay extra for more meaningful logging and tuning features in the software. it doesnt come with a wideband controller - you gotta buy that separately. all kinds of little nickel and dime you type shit. aem infinity is annoying too, despite great hardware and software, it's got locked usage keys for the ecu, soooo 1990's kinda move. if i buy a custom efi ecu, i expect it's software to be fully functional from the start and be able to put it on whatever computer i damn well please /rant lol

if you go vems, make sure you are ready to research their guides and forums. there's lots of in app help articles in it for each feature, dont skimp out on reading those. a lot of the physical wiring i've covered (which can translate to any ecu really). that reminds me, the ecu's you are researching, download their software if you are able, install and peruse them, get a feel for them, read their guides. for my 104980 down the road, i'm personally thinking about jc's half and half clutch after talking with john5788.
    Last edited by secretmachine; 04-23-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    1984 2.3 8v Lorinser - Drift/track competition - "Grønne Pige"
    1984 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Sent to Graveyard - "Steve"
    1985 2.3-16 ECE 5-Speed - Daily - "Darkwing"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM 5-Speed - Donor - "Rusty Trumpet"
    1986 2.3-16 NAM Auto - Basket Case - "Phönix"
    1987 2.3-16 NAM VEMS EFI 5-Speed - Track/Canyon - "Dimples"

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look through the guides and forums. All pretty new to me at this point but I have started reading a little as time allows already. I'll figure out as I go and look for help when I get stuck. So far I've been impressed with what I've seen about VEMS and with your review of it so far I think that's what I'll go for. Have to make a decision soon since ideally I'd like to have it on the road this summer. I debated tearing it down before instal but I think I have decided against it. I'm suseptable to project creep and I may as well take advantage of it being a low mile engine. I'll likely take it back out in the winter or when I have to scratch the turbo itch. Whats JC's Half and Half clutch? I looked through some of his recent threads and didn't see anything.
    87 190e 2.3-16
    90 190e 2.6