Thread: American-built 190E?

American-built 190E?

I had my windshield replaced this past weekend, and the guy I called to replace it asked me if my 190E was a German or American made model.... Well, I said German, and subsequently had it replaced without a hitch, but I told the guy when he showed up to work on the car that I didn't think any 190E's had been built in the United States... he insisted that there were. To my knowledge all 190E's were built in Bremen, Germany, but is there something here I don't know about? ::sleepy::
    1992 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6L Sportline

south carolina glass guy knows mercedes heritage

newsflash, the world is flat , the world is flat i tell u ! ::
    ~ '92 m103 190e - Regrettably Sold
    ~ '12 G37s Coupe KAD 6mt

Not all were built in Bremen, the first W201s were built in Sindelfingen. Your glass guy may have been asking whether the US DOT windsheild was installed, as opposed to the european version, which is supposedly thinner and more prone to damage.
    The Biggest Bargain From Germany Since Wernher Von Braun - Car & Driver November 1983

Quote Originally Posted by MTI
    Not all were built in Bremen, the first W201s were built in Sindelfingen. Your glass guy may have been asking whether the US DOT windsheild was installed, as opposed to the european version, which is supposedly thinner and more prone to damage.
    I bet that was it... Either I'm an idiot and misunderstood what he was asking me, or he was the one who was confused. I know my car had the original windshield still on it, and it was BEAT TO HELL... Several scratches, pits... I finally had it replaced after a rock hit it while I was driving on I-26, leaving a radiating crack.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyfiend
    south carolina glass guy knows mercedes heritage

newsflash, the world is flat , the world is flat i tell u ! ::
    You'll be happy to know the local IMAX theater here in Charleston declined to show a film about volcanoes because it mentions (gasp!) evolution and discusses how old the Earth actually is....

so, parts of ah-mare-e-ka are still back ass words! ::
    It doesn't matter, german cars rock!

yeah, they make them in germany but.....

Mine was built in Bremen 10/92 To my knowledge ALL american bound 2.6s were built at Werk Bremen-Sebaldsbrück near Bremerhaven.

NA bound cars were built at the Bremen factory after 89 if memory serves me right.

Models bound for UK were built in Bremen also. All deustchland bound models were built in Sindelfingen along with the 16v models? is this correct.

(US 2.6)MY VIN WDBDA29DXPF9129681 Bremen
    (US 2.3-16V) VIN WDBDA34D2HF306606 nope thats Bremen too.

I understand what he means. There are 2 specification of windshields as MTI points out.

In europe the Euro windshield is still to this day made by SEKRUIT St Gobain.

In the US the Window contract for OEM mecedes was given to Pilkington. Which is what my new windshield is and you can tell its thicker, It also has a better shatter resistant coating on it than the OE SEKRUIT stuff.

ANDY